GrowNYC is a 50-year-old environmental nonprofit organization - helping more than 3 million New Yorkers by providing essential services and taking action to make NYC a livable city, one where every person can enjoy a healthier, more sustainable life. In particular, our network of Greenmarkets, Farmstands, Fresh Food Box sites, and GrowNYC Wholesale ensures that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
About Fresh Food Box
Fresh Food Box is a group buying program that allows participants to purchase mixed shares of seasonal, farm-fresh produce and pick them up at a community distribution point. The program allows customers to take advantage of the cost benefit of buying in a group and enjoy the flexibility of a weekly commitment while supporting farmers. GrowNYC operates Fresh Food Box sites in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan and Queens.
Seasonal Fresh Food Box Site Manager
In the face of the COVID-19 pandemic, GrowNYC has been called upon to continue to provide essential food access programs to New Yorkers across the city. Site Managers are GrowNYC’s representatives to the public. On a daily basis, they work to build healthy communities and create an environment where New Yorkers can purchase regionally grown foods that help keep farms viable. The Fresh Food Box Site Manager position is seasonal. Additionally, Managers will be tasked with ensuring all COVID-19 safety measures.
Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to)
● Set up and break down distribution site in all weather conditions - carrying produce in cases/bags weighing up to 50lbs, setting up tents and folding tables, etc.
● Create/curate appropriate outreach and educational materials to accompany each share
● Curate produce orders for Fresh Food Box participants
● Complete site reports and other site-specific paperwork by assigned deadlines
● Follow and enforce food safety, COVID, and other GrowNYC rules and regulations
● Resolve conflict and issues on-site
● Perform EBT, debit/credit, cash, and other nutrition benefit currency transactions for food boxes and other purchases on-site, and maintain accurate records
● Manage a bank of at-market currencies and ensure that it is balanced after each shift
● Educate customers on a variety of food access and nutrition benefit programs
● Attend weekly online meetings
● Interest in food, health, and related issues
● Experience working in retail and/or with sales
● Enjoy talking and working with people from diverse backgrounds
● Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
● Works well both independently and as a member of a team
● Excellent time management and organizational skills
● Find innovative solutions to unexpected problems
● Experience in community outreach, with an understanding of inequities in the food system
● Familiarity with Microsoft Office and Google Suite
● Fluency in multiple languages is a big plus (especially, but not limited to, Spanish, Mandarin and Cantonese)
This position requires working outdoors and standing for lengthy periods of time, sometimes in extreme temperatures, and in a potentially noisy environment. Fresh Food Box Site Staff should be able to lift heavy equipment and supplies, up to 50lbs.
Schedule: The schedule has variable hours – a minimum of 8 hours a week to no more than 40 hours per week. Shifts are available all days of the week.
Compensation: The position is a non-exempt seasonal and variable hourly position. It pays $17 per hour plus an additional $3 per hour for work done in the field effective through June 30, 2021 and includes only statutory benefits.
Resume, cover letter, and references required.
Application Deadline: April 12, 2021
GrowNYC is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer
and hires without regard to race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation or physical disability
GrowNYC is a 50-year-old environmental nonprofit organization - helping more than 3 million New Yorkers by providing essential services and taking action to make NYC a livable city, one where every person can…