The Literacy Center Supervisor is responsible for supervising groups of children through the teaching of multi-sensory literacy programs, promotion and awareness of reading challenges at an assigned Boys & Girls Clubs of Philadelphia Club site. He/she will develop and teach multi-sensory literacy lessons related to the core service areas of BGCP. The Literacy Supervisor will commit to improving club members’ reading, writing and spelling abilities.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides an educational and structured center for members focusing on increasing their literacy skills through multi-sensory instruction.
- Develops lesson plans utilizing multi-sensory literacy techniques to meet the educational needs of Club members.
- Creates and maintains positive behavioral classroom strategies, which encourage students’ learning and commitment.
- Creates in/out of school opportunities to informally observe the reading and writing progression of Club members.
- Monitors Club members’ progress through a variety of screenings, including writing assessments, fluency evaluation and administration of the DIBELS literacy assessment.
- Gathers and tracks relevant data to Club member participation and progress, including daily literacy attendance, grades and reading levels.
- Maintains open lines of communication with Club Staff and parents.
- Creates positive images of the Literacy Center in the community by offering resources regarding reading challenges and by networking with relevant stake-holders and community organizations.
- Meets established schedules and deadlines as part of the Literacy Center Supervisor responsibilities; accepts a variety of daily activities while maintaining high accuracy requirements.
- Assist in the transportation of kids including, but not limited to, driving, van aides, and walking escorts when necessary.
- Responsible for helping to keep the Clubs clean.
- All BGCP employees are Mandated Reporters, and must report any suspected Child Abuse or Neglect to their direct supervisor.
- Performs other related duties as necessary or as assigned by the CEO(s), EPO(s), Unit Director(s), and/or Program Director(s).
- Remains flexible and adaptable in work schedules and work assignments as defined by departmental and organizational needs.
- Represents Boys & Girls Clubs of Philadelphia in a manner that conveys professionalism, confidentiality, courtesy, fairness, personal integrity, and respect for others.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field
- Three (3) or more years of experience working with disadvantaged youth, developing and implementing educational, social, cultural, or recreation programs preferred
- Sets standards in a Club leadership position where performance and overall organization expectations are modeled
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent management skills required
- Ability to supervise professional staff and volunteers
- Demonstrated ability to professionally and effectively communicate verbally and in writing to persons of all levels
- The ability and desire to work with youths 5-18 years of age in a variety of recreational and social environments
- Possesses the ability to work independently and efficiently without direct supervision
- Maintains an engaging and upbeat classroom environment
- Maintains comprehensive and organized student files
- Maintains confidentiality in all assignments and responsibilities
- Strong computer skills; Microsoft Office preferred
- Most importantly, needs to be energetic, reliable, loyal and a team player
- QUALITY & PRODUCTIVITY: Provides high quality services, processes and programs while consistently seeking ways to improve outcomes and enhance the organization. Meets or exceeds goals and objectives and consistently engages in productive work effort requiring minimal direction from manager.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Demonstrates self-control by maintaining composure in difficult situations; deals calmly and effectively with stressful situations. Projects a professional image of oneself and the organization and demonstrates a positive attitude towards work and the organization.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Demonstrates a commitment to the position and accepts responsibility for personal actions. Comes to work on time and ready to work.
- COLLABORATION & TEAMWORK: Supports a positive team environment in which employees participate, respect and cooperate with each other to achieve desired results. Builds and sustains cooperative working relationships and demonstrates a positive attitude in work assignment and interaction with others.
- COMMUNICATION: Expresses self in a knowledgeable, coherent, and professional manner. Works to resolve conflict and promotes an open and honest environment for feedback and constructive criticism.
- LEADERSHIP: Provides direction and motivation and sets an example through open communication and modeling best practices. Provides appropriate advice, on-going feedback, support and resources to improve effectiveness of individuals and departments.
- MEMBER FOCUS: Dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of members. Consistently acts with members in mind. Establishes and maintains effective relationships with members and gains their trust and respect.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Philadelphia provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment.