ABOUT NEW 42:
New 42 catalyzes the power of performing arts to spark new perspectives, incubate new works and create new opportunities for us all. Through the nonprofit’s signature projects — New Victory Theater (New York City’s premier theater for kids and families) and New 42 Studios (“Broadway’s secret laboratory”) — New 42 makes extraordinary performing arts a vital part of everyone’s life, from the earliest years onward.
We believe that representation matters both on the stage and behind the scenes and seek employees who feel the same. We also know that creative people often come with non-traditional resumes and experience; if you believe you’d be a great fit here, please don’t count yourself out—we want to hear from you! Read more below on how to apply.
The Payroll and Benefits Coordinator oversees activities relating to New 42’s payroll, benefits, and Human Resource systems. This position reports to the Controller, with a dotted line reporting to the Director of HR.
Primary Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
PAYROLL & FINANCE:
● Review and submit weekly payroll for hourly, salaried, and temporary employees; including verifying calculated pay for Production and Teaching Artist staff, ensuring new employees are added and paid accurately, PTO is approved by managers, and any other earning and deduction updates are included.
● Upload weekly payroll journal entry into Financial Edge
● Download and save weekly deduction report from Paycom
● Create report for Union dues and benefits and prepare payment request and submit to AP for payment
● Create report for Retirement plan contributions; submit to AP for processing
● Review, approve, and code monthly benefit invoices from carriers and submit to AP for payment
● Monitor quarterly tax credit reports in conjunction with the Finance Department
● Provides outside financial auditors with assistance; gathers necessary account information and documents to assist in annual audit
● Produces quarterly labor distribution reports and distributes to department managers.
● Produces scheduled and ad-hoc reports pertaining to payroll and human resources requirements.
● Administer all employee benefit plans in Paycom
● Review benefit plans with new employees prior to Paycom on-boarding process; ensure they have a full understanding of plans, enrollment provisions, and resources to get additional information.
● Fulfill all governmental regulatory mandates and ensures filings are performed as required
● In conjunction with HR Director, plan and conduct annual open
enrollment: Prepare (or revise) and distribute materials, arrange meetings for benefits brokers and employees to communicate plan updates and changes, and ensure selections are submitted timely
● Respond to benefit inquiries from staff
● Oversee and manage sick and vacation accruals/policy and paid leave/leave policies (FMLA, PFL, and Disability)
● Coordinate with a third-party administrator to manage PFL, FSA, 403b, HRA, and disability claims according to plan design
● Submit COBRA enrollments/changes to Paycom
● Respond to unemployment and workers compensation claims.
● Actively engage and participate in ongoing Equity, Diversity and Inclusion work within the organization, including the centering of anti-oppressive practices within the Finance and HR departments for the advancement of New 42 as an anti-racist organization
● Maintains employee personnel files and records (electronic and paper) and other documentation for employees, including on-boarding/off-boarding of employees, forms for employment status changes. Also coordinates pre-employment paperwork and processes.
● Prepares statistical summaries and reports from the HRIS involving payroll information, performance management, demographic data, and other employee data
● Assists in maintaining data integrity in systems by running reports, analyzing data, and reviewing source documents for accuracy.
● Generates files/reports such as the EEO1/Vets 100, annual non-
discrimination testing for benefits plans, annual reports, as well as other ad-hoc reports as requested.
● Recommends business process improvements having an HRIS component.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, AND SKILLS:
• Minimum 3 - 5 years of experience processing payroll and administering benefits
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business administration
• CEBS, CPA, and/or PHR/SHRM-CP certification a plus
• Must have strong knowledge of a variety of computer software applications, including payroll, benefits, time & attendance, HRIS, and financial systems
• Experience with Paycom and Financial Edge is a plus
• Must have a high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential information and situations
• Strong understanding of Human Resources processes and terminology, payroll and benefit procedures, including eligibility and enrollment rules.
• Demonstrates exceptional analytical skills and ability to create useful and actionable reports from data
● Possess strong organizational skills and the ability to complete multiple tasks at once with high volume deadlines during peak periods
● Strong attention to detail and ability to edit and proofread
● Has the ability to respond quickly and accurately to requests; ability to provide excellent customer service
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to a competitive base salary of $55k to $60k, New 42 also provides employees with a generous benefits package which includes health, vision, and dental insurance, that begins the first day of employment, a pension plan following one year of employment with 100% vesting after 3 years eligible service, FSA, 403(b) tax-deferred savings plan, short and long-term disability, a commuter benefit plan, and generous paid time off.
Equal Opportunity Employer
New 42 is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind: New 42 is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law. New 42 is committed to anti-oppressive practices in all departmental business processes; we aim to prioritize and advance as an anti-racist and anti-oppressive organization.
Any applicants needing accommodations for accessibility purposes, please don't hesitate to let us know what you need.
Notes from Human Resources
For the safety of our guests and staff, New 42 requires employees to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 (including booster if you are eligible). Documentation of vaccination status must be provided if an offer of employment is made.
Please submit cover letter and resume
ABOUT NEW 42:
New 42 catalyzes the power of performing arts to spark new perspectives, incubate new works and create new opportunities for us all. Through the nonprofit’s signature projects — New Victory Theater (New York City…