Brooklyn Defender Services (BDS) represents approximately 30,000 clients per year in a variety of legal proceedings in New York City, primarily indigent criminal, family, and immigration defense. We also provide legal representation for our clients on a wide range of matters that impact their lives including housing, education, employment, and immigration. We are one of the largest public defense providers in the United States; representing people who have diverse, complex, and multi-faceted needs in a high volume and fast-paced setting.
BDS has experienced significant growth in recent years and annual revenue is now $65M. The Director of Finance is seeking a Controller to partner with him in improving standardization and controls across all finance processes. The ideal candidate is a practical systems thinker, with significant experience in non-profit finance management.
Under the general direction of the Director of Finance, the Controller will be responsible for core accounting and control functions, including accounts receivable and payable, and the organization’s general ledger. The Controller will also support the Director of Finance in developing and implementing robust policies, procedures, systems, and controls for financial management.
· Accurate and timely completion of all core accounting functions including general ledger, accounts receivable and payable, and account reconciliations.
· Prepare and analyze monthly financial statements including supporting schedules.
· Manage accounting of BDS bank and credit accounts to ensure accurate and timely recording of all transactions.
· Lead the external year-end audit process including preparation of extensive reconciliations and required schedules.
· Manage workers’ compensation, 403b, IRS Form 990 and CHAR 500 filing, and other audits as needed.
· Implement contracts management (i.e. timely billing and contract budget monitoring), and improve financial management and reporting.
· Develop and implement improved policies, procedures, internal controls, and financial reporting, ensuring compliance with GAAP, funder fiscal policy, and other applicable rules, regulations, and best practices.
· Develop and maintain an understanding of the financial management system, identifying and implementing improvements that enable easier data retrieval and reporting.
· Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, non-profit administration or related field required.
· Minimum seven years of relevant and progressive non-profit accounting experience required.
· CPA highly desired with MS in Accounting or a Certified Nonprofit Accounting Processional Designation – a plus
· Extensive accounting and hands-on experience in a non-profit that receives funds through New York City human services contracts.
· Strong systems-thinker with demonstrable experience of improving finance policies, processes, and systems/data management.
· Experience directly or indirectly overseeing the work of others.
· Experience influencing others to gain buy-in on change.
· Works with minimal supervision
· Great attention to details and analytical skills
· Excellent computer skills, especially with MS Office, Word, Excel, and accounting software; Sage Intacct experience is a plus.
· Clear and concise verbal and written communication abilities in the English language
· Highly analytical and detail-oriented
· Must be organized and able to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
· An interest in contributing to BDS’ mission.
This position description is based upon material provided by Brooklyn Defender Services
Brooklyn Defender Services is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse work environment and supports a nondiscrimination policy in all employment practices. We are focused on equity and inclusion and thus strongly encourage candidates of all identities, expressions, orientations, disabilities, experiences, and other characteristics that make us different to apply. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability or another reason, you may contact Senior Associate Eva Dunphy at email@example.com or at 646-891-5924.
Ami Abramson, Chief Strategy Officer
Eva Dunphy, Senior Associate
If interested in the position, please visit DRG.com to submit a cover letter along with your resume.
Brooklyn Defender Services (BDS) represents approximately 30,000 clients per year in a variety of legal proceedings in New York City, primarily indigent criminal, family, and immigration defense. We also provide legal…