The ECF’s strategic communications team is the outreach unit of the foundation. Its role is to act as a centre of expertise for communication on climate change and to play an active role in helping create more political, media and public endorsement for action on climate change at an international, national and sectoral level.
Team members deliver strategic advice, communications and outreach support to partners and work as part of a global network of communications experts to enhance the public debate on climate change and the drivers of action more broadly.
In this context, ECF’s Strategic Communications team is working globally to accelerate action to combat climate change across multiple systems globally. The person in this role would lead the development and execution of communications strategies around legal cases pertaining to climate change, working with a range of partners globally to do so.
To facilitate this, the person in the role will need to understand how to make media stories out of complex legal cases with unpredictable time lines. They will need to harness such cases so they act as levers for change through a combination of targeted elite media communications, supporting campaigning with civil society organisations and developing reinforcing digital strategies.
The role will be closely linked to an international team of peers in key markets around the world.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced and highly driven communications professional with the ambition to make a difference and play an active role in climate litigation.
You’ll need to be a self starter, with a proven interest in legal levers for climate action and you'll be working as part of a fast-paced, global team that operates in multiple media markets and multiple platforms.
You'll need to be a great communicator with excellent understanding of how to place good stories to create political impact. You'll need to understand energy and climate policy and the way it intersects with politics on national and international levels, and use this intelligence in the service of communications.
This role would suit someone with a background as a journalist and/or public affairs.
If you think this sounds like you, please apply!
As Senior Comms Strategist - Litigation Lead, you will be responsible for:
▪ Tracking political, public and media debates around climate, human rights and corporate litigation, as well as developing and implementing communications strategies to influence and shift these debates
▪ Developing and maintaining a diverse network of partners and contacts across sectors (academia, corporate, non-profit, politics, legal networks including recruiting training and deploying spokespeople)
▪ Acting as a core member of an international network of peers, and other international fora, guiding the network on matters relating to climate litigation at the international level
▪ Developing structures and approaches that can react quickly to emerging opportunities and changes in the external context
▪ Developing and maintaining strong relationships with key correspondents and editors in mainstream and specialist media for pro-active promotion of stories, outreach on emerging issues and reactive media management
▪ Acting as a source of thematic intelligence and information for the international network, carry out or commission research as required
▪ Providing communication services and advice to partners
▪ Providing media relations services and advice to partners
▪ Working with a global network to deliver relevant communications content and collateral
▪ Contributing to monitoring, evaluation and reporting (including some financial and administrative tasks)
Experience and competencies
▪ Significant experience in strategic communications with a demonstrated understanding of the legal field
▪ Detailed understanding of the media landscape and values, and experience with strategic story placement, messaging, etc
▪ Strong experience of development and deployment of major communications initiatives across elite, traditional and digital media
▪ Far-reaching and active networks (global and media in relevant markets; climate/litigation community globally)
▪ Strong diplomatic skills and interpersonal relations, ability to quickly build trust with partners and colleagues
▪ Gravitas sufficient to work directly with high profile individuals, including lawyers and partners from diverse backgrounds at all levels
Fluent in written and spoken English.
▪ A commitment to the values of the Organisation
▪ An understanding of campaigning methods and tactics especially in the climate field
▪ Strong time and priority management, high level of independence and can-do mentality, good team-player with a passion for excellence
▪ High levels of self-motivation, used to working at a high pace in remote settings, as part of international teams and across time-zones
▪ Additional languages highly desirable.
▪ Some project management and team management experience desirable
▪ Experience working with freelancers
▪ The disposition to work generously with colleagues in a high-trust global community of peers.
▪ The versatile and adaptable skills necessary to flourish in a fast-paced and wide-ranging work environment and work across phone/video conferencing, time zones, slack, email, Trello, etc.
▪ A commitment to an inclusive and empowering approach to facing climate change.
What we offer
▪ The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
▪ A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
▪ A full-time position with a consultant or employment contract (subject to location) for 12 months, with a possible renewal after one year.
Some international travel will be required. We may be able to provide co-working spaces in some locations.
Only candidates with the right to work in their location will be considered.
The ECF’s strategic communications team is the outreach unit of the foundation. Its role is to act as a centre of expertise for communication on climate change and to play an active role in helping create more political, media and public…
Please upload the following:
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
All applications will be treated confidentially. We will store your information in our internal database unless you specifically request otherwise.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion in our organisation. We strongly encourage candidates from historically disadvantaged or marginalised groups to apply.
Please upload the following: