500 indiana ave nw
Location: D.C. Superior Court, Domestic Violence Intake Center
Supervision: Limited supervision of volunteers and interns
Reports to:Crisis Team Coordinator, On Call Crisis Advocate Supervisors
Schedule: Nights, weekends, holidays; shift work. This position is an overnight (8pm to 8am or 10pm-8am) 3-2-2-3 rotation.
General Direct Client Services:
- Assess every client for lethality and assist in devising an advocacy plan and a safety plan as part of SAFE critical incidence response.
- Provide immediate tangible resources for crisis intervention and facilitating access to Continuum Partners.
- Guide clients through the civil and criminal justice process with the central concern always being the clients’ immediate safety and self-determination.
- Provide information and assistance about navigating the Civil Justice System, such as but not limited to: evidentiary requirements for obtaining an ETPO/TPO/CPO; how to access the DVICs; process of service; enforcement of Civil Protection Orders; victim’s rights.
- Provide information and assistance about navigating the Criminal Justice System, such as but not limited to: how and when to contact the USAO screener; information on rights and responsibilities concerning victim witnesses; how to provide information about violations to USAO; information about status of case, holds, releases to insure safety.
- Provide information to and get information from MPD, USAO, and CSOSA regarding status of violations, supervision, and the location of both client and defendant.
- Provide client with soft referrals and maintaining referral mechanisms for SAFE with an end towards coordinating a community response to client needs.
- Report back on client concerns, trends and needs as well as partner concerns, trends and needs.
- Advocate for or assist clients in advocating for themselves through provision or general legal/systems information. This includes assisting with and/or writing letters and/or complaints on the client’s behalf.
- Facilitate clients' access to Safe Space Shelter.
- Assist clients in applying for Crime Victims Compensation.
General Programmatic Duties:
- Assist the organization in implementation of systems advocacy plans, projects, programs, and policies and procedures.
- Diligently maintain client records and SAFE databases.
- Gather and analyze statistical information on clients, services, and trends.
- Participate in trainings to enhance knowledge of domestic violence.
- Participate community outreach, media campaigns, and trainings with community organizations. Attend community meetings/trainings/events as necessary. Network with members of the community and assist in recruiting volunteers.
- Assist with 40 hour training for volunteer/interns/staff.
- Attend staff meetings, trainings, and case review meetings.
Response Line Advocate:
- Provide primary coverage of the Response Line and ensure that volunteers are able to respond to calls.
- Maintain detailed records regarding calls to assist smooth transitions of shifts and further client follow up.
- Ensure proper materials and Response Line resources are up to date.
- Dispatch and support On Call Advocate and Ride-Along Advocate.
- Administer after hours Emergency Financial Assistance.
- Assists in other duties as needed and directed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function (job duty) satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Background and Experience
1-2 years of experience with crisis intervention work.
Applicants with mandatory 40-hour advocacy training completed preferred.
Bilingual applicants preferred.
Experience with domestic violence issues and DC social service resources.
Attention to detail and ability to closely follow protocol and procedures is a must.
Experience working with law enforcement preferred.
Comfortable working with diverse populations.
Experience with the criminal and civil legal system preferred.
- Attention to Detail: Closely follows protocol and procedures achieves thoroughness and accuracy when accomplishing a task through concern for all the areas involved.
- Problem-solving: Identifies issues, effectively structures problems, analyzes data to produce insights, and generates wise, actionable recommendations.
- Communications: Produces strong written documents, edits documents effectively, engages in effective verbal communication.
- External Relations: Serves as an effective ambassador, builds connections, and maintains relationships with outside constituents.
- Creating an inspiring team environment with an open communication culture
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Computer Skills: Word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail, database software, and contact management.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job may be performed in office environments, out of doors and in vehicles in various weather conditions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include far and close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Health, vision, dental
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send (1) a cover letter; (2) a resume; and (3) references , to email@example.com C/O Jenny Wesberry, Director of Operations. Include the position title in the subject line. Position open until filled. EOE. No phone calls please.
For more information about DC SAFE www.dcsafe.org