1200 G Street Northwest
District of Columbia
We seek an Associate Director, Development in our Washington, DC, office to manage a portfolio of institutional supporters (foundations, corporations, and government agencies) that help advance our mission. The position will be responsible for working closely with Prosperity Now’s Development team and senior management to develop annual fundraising goals and subsequently stewarding existing funders and engaging new supporters to achieve those goals. Additionally, the position will be responsible for supervising a Development Associate to support efforts to identify and engage new institutions and steward existing funders to advance the organization’s mission. The Associate Director, Development will report to the Chief Philanthropy Officer.
About Prosperity Now’s Development team: Prosperity Now’s Development Team is a high-energy, high-performing group of fundraising professionals who work under the leadership of Prosperity Now’s Chief Philanthropy Officer to secure the resources necessary to advance Prosperity Now’s mission. The Development Team raises funds from multiple sources, including institutional funders, corporate funders, the public sector and individual and major donors. Our successful candidate will thrive on open collaboration; intellectual curiosity; an energetic, entrepreneurial approach to challenges; an upbeat, collegial environment; and hard work and drive toward fulfilling Prosperity Now’s mission of building prosperity for all U.S. individuals and families, especially those of color.
- Work in partnership with the Associate Director for Institutional Fundraising to develop annual fundraising goals for the Institutional Fundraising team and create and implement annual cultivation and stewardship plans for the funders in the position’s portfolio.
- Collaborate with Prosperity Now’s Leadership Team and members of the program teams to develop and submit compelling, timely concept notes and proposals to corporate, foundation, and government funders to increase the organization’s impact and financial resilience.
- Act as a development team liaison and thought partner to organizational leadership and several program teams to advance programmatic goals and address funder priorities and needs.
- Engage organizational and programmatic leaders to identify prospective new funders and ensure that key internal stakeholders have the information and support they need to methodically cultivate relationships and secure funding.
- Manage and mentor a Development Associate to ensure the creation of thorough research briefs for institutional prospects; the production of timely, high-quality grant reports for institutional funders; and building the Development Associate’s institutional fundraising skills and experience by including them in proposal development and stewardship.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required
- At least 5 years of experience fundraising for mission-driven nonprofit organization’s or in a comparable business development environment
- Stellar written communication skills with demonstrable success creating compelling proposals to secure grant funding
- Excellent relationship building skills with diverse stakeholders, including funders, organizational leaders and team members at all levels of the organization
- Strong verbal communication skills to share complex information clearly and efficiently
- Ability to think critically and ask questions that advance conversations with diverse stakeholders
- Capacity to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and to coach direct reports to do the same
- A healthy sense of kindness, curiosity and humor
- Commitment to building stability, wealth, and prosperity for all individuals and families in the U.S.
- Previous experience with donor databases and/or CRMs, particularly Salesforce, a plus.
- Previous program design, implementation, and/or evaluation experience a plus.
Prosperity Now is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that diversity of background and perspective are strengths, and seek to continue to grow a diverse, highly committed, skilled, and collaborative staff. We encourage candidates from various backgrounds to apply.
Minimum Education Required