Details: Salary commensurate with experience
2535 Mission Street
Employer: San Francisco Court Appointed Special Advocate Program
Position: Program Assistant
Status: Full-time (40 hours per week), non-exempt
Posted: August 13, 2018
The San Francisco Court Appointed Special Advocate Program (SFCASA) recruits, trains and provides ongoing support to community volunteers serving as officers of the court to advocate for the best interests of abused and neglected children in the foster care system. Through sustained, personal attention, SFCASA creates positive change in children’s lives, providing children with hope, stability and opportunities to thrive in preparation for healthy, productive adult lives. More information can be found at www.sfcasa.org.
The Program Assistant provides administrative support to the program team. Under the direction of the Case Supervision Manager, this individual is primarily responsible for performing case research, filing and distributing court documents, volunteer and child record maintenance, and managing youth event opportunities. In addition, the Program Assistant provides flexible assistance as required by all program staff members and supports the Program Director and Executive Director as needed with special projects.
Manage referrals and notifications to SFCASA and support case management
- Research referred cases of the Unified Family Court and prepare/update electronic and physical files, including fielding questions from community partners about SFCASA processes
- File documents in court prepared by Case Supervisors and disseminate to professionals through electronic and physical methods
- Oversee file rotation adhering to SFCASA’s document retention policy
- Share notifications and related documents with staff and volunteer advocates
- Train and provide support to office volunteers conducting court research and preparing case files
Manage youth opportunities and disseminate information to volunteers
- Maintain volunteer email distribution lists and send notifications as instructed by direct supervisor or Program Director
- Disseminate and manage opportunities for youth and their volunteers to access free and discounted recreational and enrichment activities in the Bay Area
- Provide ancillary support for children’s events, including summer and winter youth parties, and the annual advocate appreciation event
- Provide front desk and reception coverage (and coordinate coverage during absences), including:
- Answering phones, directing calls, and greeting guests and visitors
- Receiving and processing mail and deliveries on a daily basis
- Monitoring office supply levels and placing orders as needed
- Establish and maintain effective, collegial working relationships with SFCASA staff, board and volunteers, as well as with representatives of the San Francisco Human Services Agency, the dependency court attorney panel, education service providers and other community service providers and entities
- Other duties as assigned; non-essential job duties, non-related responsibilities and other tasks as required by the Executive Director and Agency may be assigned from time to time – SFCASA is a small non-profit organization requiring flexibility from its staff
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred
- Familiarity with resources for children and families in San Francisco and Bay Area
- Must pass a comprehensive background check
- Must complete SFCASA Core Volunteer Training
- Demonstrated competence in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook programs and comfortable learning and utilizing new software programs
- Experience with Salesforce, Square Space, MailChimp and/or FormAssembly preferred
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including editing skills
- Comfort in a customer service role with a friendly and approachable demeanor, positive attitude, and genuine interest in interacting with staff, volunteers, Board, and donors
- Demonstrated respect of all people regardless of socioeconomic background, culture, religion, sexual orientation, disability or gender and experience working with culturally diverse populations
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise diplomacy and discretion in communication with others
- Detail-oriented and proactive self-starter who can anticipate needs of others and accept/adapt to feedback
- Ability to lift loads of up to 25 pounds
- Flexibility with hours, including some evenings and weekends
- Spanish-English bilingual candidates encouraged to apply
Salary & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. SFCASA offers a robust benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance; a 403(b) retirement savings fund; flexible spending plans; and generous vacation and sick leave and paid holidays.
SFCASA offers a robust benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance; a 403(b) retirement savings fund; flexible spending plans; and generous vacation and sick leave and paid holidays.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume and three references in one PDF file via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Program Assistant Open Position” in the subject line. We’d appreciate learning how you heard about the position and why you are interested in working at SFCASA in your cover letter. Please, no phone calls or site visits. This position will remain open until filled; complete applications will be reviewed as they are received.
San Francisco CASA is an equal opportunity employer.