475 Riverside Drive, Suite 1500
The Public Information Officer (PIO) will be responsible for communicating information about United Methodist Women news, programs, and brand value to church and secular news and media outlets and social media channels. PIO will help raise United Methodist Women’s public profile by conveying a consistent message that aligns with United Methodist Women’s strategic plan. She will be strategic advisor to senior leaders with respect to communications and public affairs initiatives.
- Bachelor's degree in communications, marketing or a related field and three or more years of relevant experience.
- Excellent oral skills and ability to write executive-level communications for internal and external audiences
- Works well under pressure.
- Strong organizational skills and adept at multitasking
- Comes with established relationships with reporters and media outlets and has ability to expand her store of such relationships
- Experience communicating with the press and other media.
- Experience in establishing and implementing cohesive communication and public relations strategies and plans on an institutional basis.
- Strong strategic planning and management skills.
- Knowledge of communication principles, media, and public relations techniques.
- Solid interpersonal skills and ability to work within the diverse community of a faith-based, women’s membership organization
- Able to counsel on strategic and/or critical communication issues and to exercise effective judgement.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality.
Essential Job Functions
- Raise United Methodist Women profile by initiating and overseeing strategies for public relations, release of information and communications with church and the general public
- Secure coverage of United Methodist Women in church and secular press and social media channels.
- Maintain relationships and expand contacts with church and secular press and media outlets
- Serves as the designated spokesperson for the organization and liaison for press seeking interviews with United Methodist Women national leaders and staff.
- Writes press releases and speeches
- Coordinate crisis response communications
- Work with Communications to expand United Methodist Women’s social media presence
- Develop a tiered process for distributing breaking news, advocacy statements, programs and policies, etc., that ensures key United Methodist Women leaders and friends are informed first and are able to answer questions from local members in their communities.
- Work with Communications to ensure consistent, cohesive and effective messaging about United Methodist Women news, programs, and policies
- Provides direct and proactive advice, consultation, and assistance to senior leaders on public information and relations matters.
- Monitor results, collect data, and use data to evaluate efforts on a quarterly basis.
- Work to establish and implements short- and long-range public relations goals organizational goals, objectives, strategic plans, policies, and operating procedures; monitors and evaluates programmatic and operational effectiveness, and effects changes required for improvement.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Health, Dental, Life, EAP, LTD, 8% 403(b) employer contribution with 2% match, 20 days vacation, closed August Fridays and Christmas week with other generous time-off benefits.
Level of Language Proficiency
English proficiency both written and verbal
Minimum Education Required