Details: nonprofit salary with excellent benefits
408 C St. NE
Do you have a heart for social justice and experience in sales or marketing? Sojourners has an immediate opening for an Advertising Manager in our Washington, D.C. office that may be for you.
The Advertising Manager generates non-restricted revenue for Sojourners through sales of advertising that appears in Sojourners magazine, email publications, and website, and manages event sponsorships. This is an exceptional opportunity for a mission-minded and innovative media sales professional.
This position includes an existing strong book of business, but prospecting new business is also required. Sojourners’ best advertisers include universities, seminaries, book publishers, financial institutions with a socially responsible investing focus, and nonprofits. If you enjoy working with these types of organizations to help them spread the word about their work, this could be a good role for you. We provide formal training and ongoing mentoring.
Responsibilities: You will maintain current accounts, prospect, develop relationships with decision makers, meet in person or over the phone to conduct needs assessments, create and present proposals that offer solutions, and close the sale.
- Source and generate qualified new prospects through competitive research and cold calling.
- Develop relationships built on trust and credibility with prospective and existing clients.
- Understand the marketing needs of advertisers, which ad placements best meet their objectives, and create compelling proposals.
- Develop competence for deciding which companies or organizations are good prospects for our niche audience.
- Demonstrate a sense of urgency to reach out to last-minute advertisers when deadlines are approaching or when sales are needed past the posted deadline.
- Patience and persistence on the occasion of a longer sales cycle.
- Time and resource management skills used effectively to exceed sales goals.
- Complete weekly progress reports to update supervisor on account activity, pipeline, and forecasting.
- Close sales in order to meet monthly and yearly revenue targets.
- Provide back up for Advertising Assistant and Director for ad coordination, trafficking, and magazine ad layout approvals.
Required and Preferred Skills: The ideal candidate is someone who is goal-oriented, a self-starter, has a sharp attention to detail, and is a problem solver.
- 2-3 years’ experience in media sales or support.
- Previous experience in magazine and/or digital publishing.
- Passion for nonprofit journalism and the intersection of faith and social justice.
- Four-year college degree; marketing, business or related field is preferred.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize, and adhere to deadlines.
- Thoughtful and persuasive verbal and written communication skills.
- MS Office proficiency in Word and Excel.
- An interest in marketing, advertising, communications, or publishing.
- Previous database experience a plus.
- Previous web editing experience, Photoshop, and basic HTML a plus.
Excellent benefits package includes paid health insurance, 20 days paid vacation, 401(k) plan, and a positive, faith-based work environment.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional reference contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org . Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff. People of color are highly encouraged to apply.