4301 Connecticut Ave. NW
Genetic Alliance is a nonprofit health advocacy organization committed to engaging individuals, families, and communities to transform health. For more than 30 years, we have built tools and technology that empower individuals to improve their own health and amplify their voices to better health and access for others. We draw upon a multidisciplinary network of organizations and a large suite of signature websites and tools, including websites such as: geneticalliance.org, expectinghealth.org, diseaseinfosearch.org. We work collaboratively with our partners to push the boundaries of the current systems of biomedical research, care, and support. Our goal is to ensure that individuals, families, and communities (and the organizations who serve them) have access to the information they need to make informed decisions about their health and healthcare. We bring energy and creativity to this task through the diverse experience and expertise of our staff.
General Position Overview:
The Health Communications Manager will oversee all communications initiatives required to fulfill the Genetic Alliance mission. This person will be responsible for creating and implementing strategies to increase Genetic Alliance visibility and thought leadership. S/he will manage all aspects of Genetic Alliance communications, including the design and delivery of effective public relations strategies and expansion of creative initiatives.
The Health Communications Manager will supervise a Communications Assistant and work across the organization with multiple teams. This position requires an experienced and highly creative individual with the energy, commitment, and skill to direct, manage, and expand Genetic Alliance communications using both traditional (legacy) and new media strategies.
● Work with program staff to develop web content and distribution plans
● Coordinate the development of content for periodic newsletters
● Work with program staff to develop report language
● Oversee creation of graphics and visuals across programs
● Manage video content development
● Develop and manage social media and other web-based communications strategies and content (including visual/digital products)
● Work with program staff to research and write articles, op-eds, blog posts, fact sheets, and other materials to support the organization's campaigns
● Copy edit materials, such as reports, publications, press releases, articles, etc;
● Work with staff across the organization to ensure our communications are strategic, timely, and consistent with our voice
● Coordinate with administrative staff around contact management system
● Report on analytical data for Google, social media and websites
Education and/or Experience
● Bachelor degree from an accredited college or university and three or more years of relevant work experience required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
● Comfortable working under pressure with tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
● Well organized including good attention to detail and ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects
● Strong oral communication and excellent writing skills needed
● Ability to research and understand complex and unfamiliar subjects
● Demonstrates genuine passion for health issues with experience in healthcare/research advocacy space a plus
● Experience with Photoshop, InDesign, Adobe, and Illustrator
● Experience leading a team to develop web, social media, and written content
● Experience in interpreting and reporting on analytical information
● Experience recruiting and managing vendors
● Video production experience
● Familiarity with ProsperWorks or a similar CRM
Paid vacation, health and holidays, medical, dental, and vision insurance, long-term disability, life insurance, transportation deduction, and employee-contributed 403b plan
Minimum Education Required