The Sexual Assault Legal Institute (SALI), a program within the Maryland Coalition Against Sexual Assault (MCASA), is seeking a legal advocate. This position provides direct services to sexual assault survivors and also assists with online communication to provide survivors with legal information. Administrative duties include assisting with grants management using a client database. SALI provides legal services to survivors of sexual violence, and training & technical assistance to others working with survivors. Legal advocates report to the SALI Managing Attorney.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide high quality, culturally competent legal advocacy for survivors of sexual assault.
- Assist attorneys in representation of sexual assault survivors in a range of cases; these may include protective and peace orders, U-visa, family law, crime victim rights, education, employment and other cases.
- Increase SALI’s presence on social media and improve legal information available on MCASA’s agency-wide website.
- Coordinate and develop culturally competent outreach materials and arrange for appropriate translation of current SALI literature.
- Participate in forums and meetings relating to SALI activities.
- Conduct initial interviews (intakes) with survivors of sexual assault.
- Provide safety planning for survivors.
- Assist in production of training and technical assistance materials.
- Collect data needed for grant reports or other reasons; assist in report preparation using Legal Server database.
- Assist in recruiting and work with legal interns.
- Prioritize and fulfill responsibilities in accordance with available funding and grant requirements.
- Comply with or assist others in compliance with the Rules of Professional Conduct (legal ethics).
- Such other duties as assigned by SALI managing attorney or executive director.
- Bachelor’s degree, AA in Paralegal Studies, or equivalent experience required. Recent JDs considered only if committed to outreach and other responsibilities that may not fall under an attorney’s usual duties AND committed to non-attorney position for significant period of time.
- Fluent in English; conversant in Spanish or other language is preferred.
- Skilled and enthusiastic about developing ways to share legal information via technology, including social media and website.
- Familiarity with LegalServer or commitment to learn database.
- Access to a car and valid drivers license; this position requires travel within the State of Maryland. Out of state travel required 1-3 times annually.
- Knowledge and/or previous work experience with sexual assault related issues preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Commitment to Diversity
MCASA is an equal opportunity employer. Its policy of nondiscrimination means that all employment decisions will be based on merit and without regard to factors unrelated to job performance, such as ethnicity, creed, marital status, national origin, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, and physical, emotional or mental capacity.
Health, dental, vision. Annual, sick, and personal leave.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bi-lingual preffered, fluent in English and conversant in Spanish or other language.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with "Legal Avocate Position" and your name in subject line. NOTE: Deadline to apply is April 25, 2018, however applications will be considered as received and applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.