Details: Annual salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
2000 M St. NW
Are you passionate about the environment? Does creating innovative solutions for knowledge-building to improve our world sound like a challenge that puts your technical skills to good use? We have a great opportunity for a Web and Platform Manager to join Island Press. This position will work with the president, staff, and outside consultants to supervise the creation and management of content for the Island Press website; manage its e-book platform, app, and other digital platforms; and work collaboratively on the development and adaptation of digital resources that augment Island Press content. An interest in or familiarity with book publishing is helpful, along with experience creating successful web and other digital content.
The successful candidate will have an entrepreneurial spirit and the ability to develop and manage projects with multiple stakeholders both within and outside the organization. Experience with managing and editing websites and blogs is required, familiarity with video and audio content is useful, and a willingness to learn and grow is critical. You should have strong personal time management skills; be able to prioritize tasks in a fast paced, changing environment; and ensure that content is produced efficiently and on time to meet agreed-upon schedules.
The Web and Platform Manager is an extra-budgetary, grant-funded position. At this time, resources are available to fund this position through August 31, 2020.
The job requires residency within commuting distance to Washington, D.C.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Website Management (40%)
- Manages the regular operations of the Website and/or Web pages using Island Press’ Drupal CMS. Coordinates editorial content with appropriate staff and keeps content up to date.
- Works closely with the marketing and sales team to build and execute an effective content strategy that increases views, engagement, and brand affinity. Works closely with the development staff to ensure effective content for potential and existing donors, funders, and board members.
- Works with IP’s IT Manager and outside web development consultants to recommend, design and implement changes to website.
- Creates and maintains documentation for website processes and provides training to new website users
Analytics and Metadata (25%)
- Monitors, analyzes, and reports on web traffic, SEO and website metrics. Performs usability tests, analyzes results, and prepares and presents findings. Recommends needed enhancements and provides information to appropriate staff.
- Recommends and manages tools for monitoring Key Performance Indicators related to our publishing and program activities, and proposes actions to enhance these metrics. Works with colleagues to analyze performance data and use results to inform content strategies and enhance marketing and selling activities.
- Work with appropriate staff to optimize online discoverability of Island Press content.
Platform Management (20%)
- E-book platform:
- Manages our e-book platform to ensure that e-books are available on time and with accurate and complete metadata.
- Manages the creation of content libraries and collections from existing content as directed by Editorial and Marketing staff.
- Functions as the lead liaison with the platform provider to suggest and implement ways to maximize its use.
- Island Press App:
- Manages the flow of information to the IP app.
- Recommends and implements IP’s app strategy to further engage new and existing users.
- Works with app development consultants to design and implement changes and enhancements.
- Video, Audio, and Online Learning Platforms:
- Works with appropriate staff to recommend, design and implement solutions that meet the needs of our multimedia efforts, including webinars, podcasts, and online learning platforms.
- Manages and ensures that smooth operation of our multimedia and online learning platforms.
Publishing Technologies and Tools (15%)
- Assists in the evaluation, and recommends and implements strategies and tools for enhancing Island Press’ publishing through the better use of technology tools in editorial, production, marketing and selling, and development activities.
- Collaborate with Fundraising Department to present key metrics to funders and donors.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of a bachelor's degree in a related field and a solid technical background with understanding of and/or hands-on experience in web technologies, especially around knowledge-based products. Knowledge of Drupal and/or WordPress a plus. Strong candidates will possess the ability to work well as a member of a collaborative team of contractors, partners, and internal staff, and superior problem solving skills with a willingness to roll up one’s sleeves to get the job done.
Medical, dental, vision, paid time off, retirement account, fitness center.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Island Press is an equal employment opportunity employer that is committed to promoting a workplace as diverse as the environment it is committed to protecting. We encourage applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, political association, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
To apply, send cover letter and résumé with a subject of Web and Platform Manager. No calls please.