1501 14th Street NW
Studio Theatre seeks a highly motivated Director of Marketing and Communications (DOM) to support the highest strategic priorities of the institution and serve as a member of the Theatre’s senior leadership team.
The DOM will be joining Studio at a pivotal moment for the theatre as it sets to embark on a $25 million-dollar campaign that will open our building to the neighborhood, dramatically improve public spaces throughout our facility, transform two of our performance spaces, modernize our production technology, and provide our staff and artisans with better workspace. In addition to overseeing the planning and implementation of all marketing, public relations, and sales programs to earn $3 million in single tickets and subscriptions annually, the DOM will work in concert with the Director of Institutional Advancement to use the campaign to raise the institutional profile within the local community and the theatre industry at large.
The Director will focus on growing new audiences while retaining and deepening relationships with current audiences with an emphasis on implementing new products to encourage repeat attendance at Studio Theatre. Studio Theatre seeks an individual with an entrepreneurial spirit, proven track record in project and team management, strategic planning, ability to hit short-term and long-term goals marketing goals. The position reports to the Managing Director but work closely with all members of the artistic staff. He/she will oversee a growing staff of full-time and part-time professionals and consultants specializing in marketing, public relations, customer service, database management and graphic design
• Lead the development of organization-wide marketing and communications strategy to meet both short-term and long-term institutional and financial goals
• Direct and manage all marketing tactics, including print/broadcast/direct mail/telemarketing/e-commerce, with a goal of creating engaging, efficient, cost-effective, and targeted campaigns to grow audiences
• Implement innovative new sales products that encourage repeat attendance at Studio
• Build public interest, as well as strengthen and promote the brand locally, regionally, and internationally
• Develop the Theatre’s sales projections and corresponding pricing and inventory strategies to maximize revenue and motivate sales team while maintaining fiscal health of annual operation
• Oversee implementation and design of customer service and retention strategies to and maintain highest level of patron loyalty
• Collaborate with the Development Department to integrate organizational strategy and customer relationship management in marketing and fundraising efforts
• Identify potential media sponsorship opportunities and ensure full activation of sponsorships
• Cultivate an innovative working environment that enables growth in new technology and marketing practices
• Support the development of community engagement and access initiatives of the theater
• Oversee the organizational use of the Tessitura database
• Serves as a member of the Senior Leadership
The ideal candidate for the Director of Marketing and Communications will have at least five (5) years’ experience in marketing, preferably for the performing arts. They will have a proven ability to increase earned revenues through ticket sales, brand development strategies and protocols, as well as time-tested and cutting-edge marketing principles and methods. In addition, the candidate should have:
• Demonstrated management and leadership skills
• Superlative communication skills, especially in writing
• Strong analytical abilities, intellectual curiosity, and unwavering interest in detail
• Ability to work at the conceptual level as well as in the implementation phase
• Proven track record in designing and growing a marketing and sales department
• Experience managing creatives, database managers and web developers
• Experience with Tessitura or equivalent ticketing and CRM databases
• Ability to create and utilize logical, systematic, and orderly procedures to meet objectives
• Effectively prioritizes tasks and develops procedures, processes and systems for order, accuracy, efficiency, and productivity
• Experience managing both full and part time staff as well as outside consultants
Studio Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Studio Theatre offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits including matching 401K.
Minimum Education Required