37 West 26th Street, 7th floor
New Alternatives for Children, Inc. (NAC) is an award-winning not-for-profit agency in Midtown Manhattan, with a satellite Bronx office, dedicated to serving children and families with medical complexity, chronic health conditions, significant disabilities and behavioral challenges. To assist in achieving this mission, NAC is currently seeking a Social Worker to join its Foster Care and Adoption team.
Master-level social workers will work in a supportive, learning and dynamic multi-disciplinary environment where they will receive extensive clinical supervision with the opportunity to earn hours towards the advanced license, and training. New Alternatives offers it social workers regular medical, mental health developmental disabilities workshops to support service delivery and offers approved CEU credits. Spanish speaking candidates and/or those with relevant professional experiences will receive a salary differential.
Description of Responsibilities:
- Facilitates permanency planning for all foster children and ensures that children achieve their permanency goals in as expeditious a manner as possible.
- Assesses the needs of foster children and ensures that the appropriate range of clinical and concrete services is accessed as needed for each child.
- Assesses the needs of birth or original caregivers and ensures that the appropriate range of clinical and concrete services is assessed; monitors clients’ attendance, progress and assesses behavior change through participation in services.
- Conducts monthly face to face visits in their homes and in the community for all clients as needed.
- Assesses foster parents for their potential suitability as adoptive parents; assist foster parents in managing the children placed in their homes; and assists foster parents in their efforts to work with birth families using a parent to parent model.
- Directly provides counseling and case management services to foster children and their families.
- Completes NY Children’s Services (NYCS), formerly called ACS and NAC paperwork in a timely manner and ensures that all documentation conforms to agency, city, and state regulatory requirements including progress notes, Family Assessment Service Plans, permanency hearing and court reports.
- Collaborates with NYCS staff, NYCS attorneys and NAC attorneys as needed for permanency planning and other issues.
- Participates in Family Team Conferences.
- Attends family court hearings.
- Prepares comprehensive psycho-social reports and participates as a treatment team member in agency case review meetings.
- Supervises visits between children and birth families, and arranges sibling visits.
- Has responsibility for a 24-hour on-call duty and for Saturday coverage on a rotating basis.
Required Education and Experience:
- MSW from an accredited school of social work is required; LMSW preferred.
- Prior experience working with children and families.
- Comfortable working with medically complex, physically and/or chronically disabled children, as well as knowledge in the area of child development.
- Spanish speaking applicants are a plus.
For more information on New Alternatives for Children, Inc., visit our website at www.nackidscan.org
New Alternatives for Children, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply:
Please indicate "Social Worker, Foster Care & Adoption" in the subject line when applying. Please submit cover letter and resume to:
Mary Ann Code
Human Resources Department
New Alternatives for Children
37 West 26th Street, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10010