Director, National Grassroots Advocacy
- Job posted by National Association of Community Health Centers
Details: commensurate with experience.
1400 Eye St, St NW
The National Association of Community Health Centers is seeking a candidate to fill the role of Director, National Grassroots Advocacy. The ideal candidate will have 7 to 10 years of relevant work experience, including experience developing and spearheading grassroots advocacy or civic engagement campaigns. Qualified candidates should have strong communication skills, both verbal and writing, and experience in managing online advocacy platforms and utilizing social media to engage and educate grassroots advocates and elected officials. In addition, the right candidate will have fundraising experience and strong track record of building national and/or state alliances to empower communities and further the mission of NACHC.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Managing the planning, implementation and coordination of all grassroots advocacy activity for the association including day-to-day management of the activities of the Health Center Advocacy Network.
- Supporting the work of the NACHC Federal and State Affairs staff by developing short-term and long-term advocacy strategies to achieve NACHC’s policy goals.
- Working with the NACHC Policy Research staff to develop compelling advocacy materials, using data to tell the Health Center story.
- Working with State and Regional Primary Care Associations and Health Center Controlled Networks to develop their internal advocacy capacity and effectiveness and to ensure that state and local advocacy efforts are coordinated with NACHC’s advocacy program.
- Managing all grassroots advocacy elements of and logistics related to the NACHC Policy & Issues Forum and required educational sessions at the P&I, FOM IT, the Community Health Institute, and other NACHC meetings and conferences.
- Staff NACHC Advocacy Task Force.
- Coordinating federal advocacy activities of the State Legislative Coordinators, as necessary.
- Managing the development and dissemination of advocacy education programs and materials to ensure effective response to federal advocacy campaigns, including NACHC tele-forum calls and webinars.
- Managing NACHC online advocacy platform and other technology vendor relationships.
- Manage agreements with affiliates on NACHC advocacy platform and within other programming.
- Planning and implementing a program to build visibility and alliances for NACHC and Health Centers with a wide range of organizations and institutions to build support and acquire resources for furthering the mission of health centers.
- Managing an effective national civic engagement program to develop local activities and build alliances that will empower and inform the clients and communities that health centers serve.
- Managing all aspects of National Health Center Week, including fundraising from corporate sponsors and private foundations.
- Oversee Key Contacts Program, including the development of training and educational materials, contact database, identification, and recruiting.
- Oversee the Advocacy Leadership Program, Hispanic Advocacy Program, Board Member Advocacy Certificate, Digital Advocacy University, and Advocacy Center of Excellence Program.
- Oversee all advocacy communications via NACHC advocacy platform, social media accounts, and other advocacy tools as necessary.
Qualifications for Position
- BA or BS degree (required)
- 7-10 years of experience in grassroots advocacy or community organizing
- Will directly supervise grassroots advocacy department staff
Skills and Knowledge Required
- Knowledge of federal legislative process and actors
- Knowledge of grassroots communications tools and tactics
- Understanding of legal and regulatory rules impacting health center advocacy and lobbying
- Strong communications skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to effectively motivate, empower, and engage various target audiences
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with online advocacy tools
- Understanding of the use of social media for advocacy
- Experience with corporate fundraising
- Experience managing a team
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment; strong interpersonal and leadership skills; creative and flexible problem-solving skills; detail-oriented; sense of humor; strategic and forward thinker
Amount of travel and any other special considerations
- Occasional travel, involving roughly 20% of time; occasional night and weekend work
- Bilingual (Spanish) a plus
Minimum Education Required