1154 Boylston Street
About the MHS
Founded in 1791, the Massachusetts Historical Society is an invaluable resource for American history, life, and culture. Its extraordinary collections tell the story of America through millions of rare and unique documents, artifacts, and irreplaceable national treasures.
As the nation’s first historical society, the MHS strives to enhance the understanding of our nation’s past and its connection to the present, demonstrating that history is not just a series of events that happened to individuals long ago but is integral to the fabric of our daily lives. Its collections are accessible to anyone with an interest in American history. Beyond research, the MHS offers many ways for the public to enjoy its collections including engaging programs, thought-provoking exhibitions, publications, seminars, and teacher workshops. Please visit www.masshist.org for more information.
Purpose: The Donor Engagement Associate is responsible for special event management, donor database manipulation, and committee support administration.
Reporting Relationships: This position reports directly to the VP of Development (VPD).
Supervisory Responsibility: None
- In coordination with the VPD, manage the complete life-cycle of events in web, print, and experience including calendar, communications, mailings, registration, logistics, volunteer management, tracking attendees and reporting
- Standard events include the annual signature gala, exhibition openings, constituent receptions, and possible other public-interfacing events
- Collaborate with the Senior Development Associate on the comprehensive utilization of the Raiser’s Edge donor database, including but not limited to establishing protocols for constituent record consistency, moves management, gift entry, relationship tracking, report production, process documentation, and overall data integrity
- Run donor and giving reports for the VPD for analysis and strategy
- Enter contact reports from Presidential, VPD, and key solicitor meetings with donors and prospects
- Produce occasional mailing lists from Raiser's Edge
- Help with setup and preparation for Development, Fellows, and Gala committee meetings; take minutes, draft and distribute minutes, etc.
- Attend occasional evening and weekend events related to the scope of work
- Other duties as assigned
Members, Fellows, Trustees, committee members, volunteers, vendors, sponsors
All MHS Staff, especially the VPD, Senior Development Associate, VP of Communications & Marketing, Facilities personnel and Visitor Services
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of three years in positions of increasing responsibility within a development department
- Proficiency in Raiser's Edge fundraising and reporting software
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (especially Excel), Google Suite, Adobe Acrobat
- Strong project management and organization skills with the ability to prioritize competing tasks
- Ability to work collaboratively inside an organization and with external constituencies
- Ability to exercise good judgement, confidentiality, and discretion
- Alignment with and respect for the Society’s mission
- A good sense of humor and collegial attitude
Level of Language Proficiency
English fluency required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
The Massachusetts Historical Society is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering a competitive benefits package and salary commensurate with experience. To apply, please email cover letter and resume under the subject line “Donor Engagement Manager” to email@example.com. No phone calls please.