2 West Loop Road
Cornell Tech is a new graduate campus of Cornell University that brings together faculty, students, business leaders and tech entrepreneurs in a catalytic environment to reinvent the way we live in the digital age.
A hallmark of Cornell Tech is a rapid pace of change and growth, which serve as opportunities to pursue excellence and improvement, not merely scale. We iterate to learn quickly from our activities and to improve our programs and ways of working. We further expect our organizational structure to continue to change, given the pace of our activities and programs and our iterative learning process. We see Cornell Tech serving as a model organization for our students, demonstrating the operations of a highly effective, dynamic, information-age organization.
The Administrative Assistant will provide administrative support to faculty and staff of the Cornell Tech Campus.
Specific responsibilities are:
- Provide administrative assistance for staff and faculty of Cornell Tech campus. Perform general office operations, including monitoring and ordering office supplies via eShop and Procurement Card
- Respond to routine and non-routine inquiries and coordinates follow up with individuals internal and external to the organization
- Schedule meetings; answer phones and greet visitors; provide information/reference literature on tech campus, department policies and answer questions.
- Keep assigned areas organized; identify maintenance/ AV/ or space issues and communicate with appropriate admin team member, submit ticket, and assist with resolution; communicate with other admin support staff to ensure smooth running of daily office operations; participate in campus meetings.
- Provide back-up admin support and phone coverage as needed for other admin support staff. Provide training to other admin support if needed and coordinate with others as needed to ensure that work load is completed timely.
- Manage, coordinate, and execute travel arrangements including travel, accommodations, meal planning, reimbursements, etc. Many arrangements may be complicated requiring lengthy trips or multiple stops and/or for a group of people travelling together.
- Work with administrative team including other administrative support, directors, managers, faculty, and other staff to develop annual organizational deadlines for activities and meetings.
- Prepare, process, and track requisitions and reimbursements. Develop spreadsheets, reports and other monitoring mechanisms and report to faculty/ staff on a regular basis. Compile basic statistics and metrics when applicable.
- Work with financial team to resolve billing problems and reconcile account statements. Advise faculty, and staff on billing procedures and policies. Develop systems and databases to streamline billing processes. Understand accounting policies and procedures as they pertain to internal department billings. Develop and suggest changes to office policies and procedures. Provide input to operational manuals and knowledge guides.
- Plan, organize, schedule, and coordinate faculty and staff activities including seminars, symposia, and workshops. Activities may be all day or multi day involving outside participants. Faculty include senior faculty with research groups comprising of doctoral students, post-doctoral associates, and research programmers.
- Support to staff include directors who are leading teams supporting critical key functions at Cornell Tech. Liaison with outside vendors where appropriate.
- Independently compile background materials for meetings. Coordinate and/or provide support regarding travel arrangements for speakers, faculty, staff or participants. Provide schedule of visit, travel details, agenda, and reimbursement procedures. Schedule meetings between speakers and various tech campus faculty and staff. Coordinate day-of event logistics - set up conference space; obtain, set-up and clean-up refreshments; copy and distribute agendas and program materials; produce name tags; manage on-site registration; provide post-event clean up. Set up AV and other telecommunications equipment as needed including web ex. Troubleshoot equipment for presentation and assist the speaker(s).
- Assist with research proposal submission including: reviewing requirements; synthesizing and disseminating requirements to collaborators and others involved in the application submission; typing, formatting, preparation of CV and current & pending support materials; sending out requests for background information, tracking responses, and obtaining collaborator's supporting materials; preparing basic budget forms; preparing of Form 10; coordinating proposal submission materials with organizational finance team and the Office of Sponsored Programs.
- Prepare and assist with research material. Maintain current publication lists for faculty supported.
- Design and maintain filing and record systems for faculty supported. Maintain faculty calendars. Schedule appointments for faculty. Provide instructional support as requested by faculty - course materials, grade tracking, and course website maintenance. Prepare materials for presentation at workshops and seminars including transparencies and slide originals.
- Creates, transcribes, and maintains spreadsheets, documents and correspondence as needed. Use independent judgment and initiative to compose and develop reports, presentations, and other documents. Type, draft, and edit technical proposals, manuscripts, reports, research papers and scientific reports. Compile and generate data for reports. Maintain efficient and well-organized files system. Create, maintain and manipulate databases containing confidential information. Creates and maintains useful contacts for faculty and staff including background info and interactions. Maintain / update office web pages. Coordinate collection of materials, graphical design and printing of department newsletter and other department publications. Reprint copies of office brochures and maintain brochure racks /bulletin boards.
- Other jobs as assigned.
- Associate degree with 4 years office experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills with an attention to detail.
- Ability to work both independently and with a team, establishing and accomplishing priorities, coordinating projects and handling multiple tasks simultaneously often with frequent interruptions in a high-volume fast-paced environment.
- Exemplary organizational skills with a keen sense of detail and ability to exercise sound judgment are required. High degree of initiative and creative problem-solving abilities are also necessary in this role.
- Ability to handle highly sensitive and confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Must maintain respectful, positive working relationships with all co-workers and the general public, and use good judgment in recognizing scope of authority. Must represent department in professional, mature manner, and positive, welcoming demeanor are critical. Strong telephone skills and customer service oriented presence.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and Outlook is essential. The individual in this position must be able to use a variety of software applications to accomplish tasks; including word processing, database management, spreadsheets, presentation, calendaring, and web applications.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or more years of relevant work experience.
- Proven success in administrative support within academic or similar environment.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply via the following link:
When applying through our system, please remember to attach your resume and cover letter in either Microsoft Word or PDF format.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.