Details: Annual salary is approximately $60,000.
171 Madison Avenue
Lawyers Alliance for New York is the leading provider of business and transactional legal services for nonprofit organizations that are improving the quality of life in New York City neighborhoods. These services help organizations to develop and provide housing, stimulate economic opportunity, improve urban health and education, promote community arts, and operate and advocate for vital programs that benefit low-income New Yorkers of all ages. In the coming year, our staff, joined by 1,900 volunteer attorneys from 130 law firms and corporate legal departments, will assist hundreds of nonprofit organizations.
To help expand its service levels, Lawyers Alliance seeks to hire a Pro Bono Associate, who will play an integral role in the placement and success of more than 1,100 pro bono projects each year.
Major responsibilities include:
- Developing and implementing an annual pro bono outreach plan, with thoughtful strategies to replenish and expand the network of active volunteers;
- Coordinating a robust pro bono case placement process, including identifying and communicating with appropriate volunteer attorneys at law firms and corporations, so that nonprofit clients can get the expert legal help they need;
- Representing Lawyers Alliance at information sessions and other visibility events;
- Monitoring case activity for quality control, resolving any issues, maintaining substantive case information in database, and compiling and analyzing data;
- Conducting research and preparing reports related to New York and national pro bono trends;
- Preparing and distributing model forms and other information to support volunteers;
- Planning and coordinating volunteer recognition activities and announcements;
- Administering Continuing Legal Education (CLE) credit for pro bono and supporting CLE trainings aimed at volunteer attorneys; and
- Working on additional client intake, educational services, resource calls, marketing, fundraising, statistical reports, and other projects as requested.
This position offers the opportunity to be involved in some of New York City’s most dynamic public interest work and improve the delivery of pro bono legal services. Qualifications include a Bachelor’s degree, 2-5 years post-college work experience, and an interest in nonprofit volunteer programs. The position requires strong organizational, communication, and operational skills. The ideal candidate has excellent initiative and follow-through, writes clearly, is detail-oriented, and is adept with data management, spreadsheets and database tracking systems.
Minimum Education Required