5100 Wisconsin Ave, NW Suite 520
Position Title: Development Associate
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Location: 5100 Wisconsin Avenue, NW Suite 516
Hours: 40 hours, Monday through Friday, some evenings and weekends required
Friendship Place is nonprofit organization, serving the Washington, DC region, empowering individuals and families experiencing or at risk of homelessness to rebuild their lives with the involvement of the community. Friendship Place offers the most effective model for addressing homelessness, with innovative, customized programs that have positive, demonstrable results and a lasting impact on the community and beyond. Our programs are person-centric and individualized to meet the needs and goals of individuals, families, youth/young adults and Veterans experiencing homelessness. We provide outreach, hospitality, health care, case management, housing, job placement services, and advocacy. We have established a national presence and are known for sharing best practices in the field.
The Development Associate will provide broad office administration support to the Development Department (approximately 32 hours per week), and assist with in-kind donation pick-up and delivery (8 hours per week)
This position will work with Board, staff, volunteers, collaborators and other supporters as necessary.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Obtain mail from the Welcome Center 3 times weekly, sort and deliver to appropriate locations
· Supervises the recording and reconciliation of:
o check receipts,
o check deposits made by Finance, and
o credit card transactions.
Works closely with volunteers and staff on this function.
· Ensures all donations are recorded correctly into development system (E-tapestry).
· Working with Chief Development Officer, leads in preparing thank you/acknowledgment letters, following up with donor requests as necessary.
· Liaise with IT vendor, copier vendor, and building.
· Assist with development mailings and outreach.
· Provide logistical support for special events.
· Care and maintenance of Friendship Place van.
· Manage neatness of Development Office.
· General office support, including filing, supply ordering, stamps purchase, and office organization.
In-Kind Donations process:
· Respond to offers of in-kind donations and connect potential donors with Division Directors.
· Bachelor’s Degree Preferred
· 2 or more years of relevant experience
· Experience in non-profit development, with foundation and/or corporate fundraising preferred.
· Computer literacy, including word-processing and database and spreadsheet proficiency
Personal Qualities and Qualifications
· Strong problem-solving mindset, with the ability to find solutions to challenges and present them clearly to leadership for evaluation.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with the ability to work well under deadlines
· Strong decision-making skills, high energy and genuine enthusiasm for the FP mission.
· High degree of initiative
· Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects at once.
· Interest in working collaboratively as part of a highly capable nonprofit team.
· Excellent communication skills to effectively support the Chief Development Officer, President/CEO, and Board of Directors, and engage prospects, donors, and other diverse constituencies
· Willingness to work extended hours, including some weekends and evenings, as needed.
· Strong commitment to Friendship Place’s mission.
· Standard office working conditions
Physical and Environmental Requirements
· Standard office working conditions
· Possess the ability to lift 30lbs.
· Driving 10-25%
· Volunteers and interns as needed.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
Application Deadline: This job is open until filled, or the hiring manager determines that they can no longer accept applications.
Start Date: Late June
Interview Process: Phone screening, Panel style interview, Final Interview
Friendship Place is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We offer an excellent benefits package including low cost health insurance, employer paid dental, vision, short and long term disability, life insurance, 403B matching, 15 days of vacation during 1st year of employment, sick leave, and much more!
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified candidates may apply by sending a cover letter stating how you can make an impact and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject Line: DA.