Location: Panajachel, Guatemala
The Development Manager serves as Mercado Global’s lead donor relationship and engagement manager, connecting our community of individual and corporate supporters to the organization’s work and impact. This role is responsible for meeting our annual private donor and corporate sponsor revenue benchmarks through events, appeals, donor engagement, and corporate engagement events throughout the year. The Development Manager manages our relationship with individual and corporate donors who give up to the $2,500 level and manages the annual fundraising calendar, including events, outreach, and site visits.The position works closely with the rest of the development team, including the Development Director, is supporting by interns, and collaborates with our Communications Manager on the development of key marketing tools such as our annual report, newsletters and event invites.
Mercado Global seeks a Development Manager who is enthusiastic about the opportunity to help expand a cutting-edge model for fighting poverty and empowering women in rural Latin America. He/she should have strong self-initiative and leadership capabilities, strong interpersonal and communication skills, a proven track record for maintaining and growing a private donors program, and a passion for our mission and work. The Development Manager is a key relationship strategist for the organization.
This position provides fundraising professionals with the opportunity to help grow an innovative, cutting-edge model for empowering indigenous women artisans. The position provides the opportunity to work with our network of donors, advisors, talented team on the ground in Guatemala, and the indigenous women we serve. This position is based at our field office in Panajachel, Guatemala and reports directly to the Development Director.
The Development Manager role is responsible for meeting individual and corporate donor revenue benchmarks through the following activities:
Execute private and corporate donor communications & engagement plan:
· Manage Private Donors Program Annual Calendar, including for donor events, communications, site visits, and appeals.
· Maintain private and corporate donors pipelines and cultivation plan.
· Manage Monthly Donor and Major Donors Circle programs, as well as Corporate Sponsorship Program.
Implement donor events and appeals:
· Execute donor events, including our annual fundraisers. Support Development Director in working with event host committees to meet fundraising goals, and manage in-kind donation and event sponsorships.
· Lead and manage digital and mailed annual appeal campaign in partnership with the Communication Manager.
· Manage donor trips to visit our programs in Guatemala, including trip recruitment and execution of trip logistics.
Manage program reporting and operations:
· Track key performance indicators for private donors and corporate sponsors program.
· Manage individual giving operations, including overseeing interns on managing donor database, research, acknowledgement processes and mailings.
● A bachelor's degree
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
● Excellent planning, critical thinking and organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to move multiple projects forward simultaneously.
● Demonstrated success managing relationships with individual donors and organizing private donor events and fundraisers.
● 2-4 years of fundraising experience with demonstrated ability to meet fundraising goals, particularly in the area of individual giving.
● Ability to work in a team setting and communicate effectively. Ability to receive and incorporate feedback.
● Strong attention to detail and commitment to top-quality, self-driven work.
● Proficiency in written and spoken Spanish a plus.
● Enthusiasm for Mercado Global's mission.
● Flexibility, drive, sense of humor, and prior experience living long-term outside the U.S.
● Fluency with Microsoft Office and Excel required. Knowledge of DonorPerfect and MailChimp a plus.
● Ability to make two-year commitment to this position.
About Mercado Global:
Mercado Global is a social enterprise with an innovative approach to fighting poverty and empowering women in rural Guatemala. By providing business development support and connecting artisan cooperatives to sales opportunities in the U.S. on an unprecedented scale, Mercado Global partner artisans are a source of change in global sourcing practices.
Each Mercado Global collection starts with a journey to the highlands of Guatemala where our designers partner with indigenous women artisans to develop unique pieces that combine Mayan craftsmanship with modern design. From one of the most marginalized populations in the world, our partner artisans are rising to become leaders in their communities and are sending their children to school, often for the first time.
Mercado Global’s partners include Nordstrom, Anthropologie and Target, among others. Newsweek has featured Mercado Global on its cover, and Good Morning America, Harper’s Bazaar, and others have showcased the organization’s designs. Our institutional supporters include the Levi Strauss Foundation, the Pimco Foundation, the World Bank, and the Bonnie Cashin Foundation.
Learn more at www.mercadoglobal.org
Minimum Education Required