Grow Your Own Illinois’ (GYO) mission is to recruit, train and retain diverse community focused teachers for Illinois public schools. GYO identifies parents and community members passionate about education and assists them in completing their college degrees and becoming licensed, highly effective teachers in neighborhood schools. GYO creates a career pathway for individuals who have a passion for teaching, but do not have the means or opportunity to realize that passion. Through the resources and support provided by GYO, community members are able to succeed and persist in higher education and secure steady long term employment.
GYO is expanding to Waukegan and is creating a new cohort of GYO candidates. GYO is looking for a part-time program coordinator to recruit and support teacher candidates as they complete their degrees and begin their teaching careers.
Job Synopsis: To develop and maintain a strong GYO program by identifying, training and retaining the diverse, community focused teachers Waukegan schools need. The position requires recruiting and supporting the academic achievement and leadership development of teacher candidates. The coordinator supports candidates as they complete their teaching degree and into the first two years of their teaching career. The coordinator will report to the Program Director and the Executive Director.
● Recruitment and admissions process:
- Hold recruitment events,
- Outreach to partner organizations and the community to spread awareness of the program,
- Manage application and admission process
● Candidate support:
- Maintain and develop relationships with current and potential GYO candidates,
- Provide individualized support and hold regular one-on-one meetings with candidates in order to ensure success,
- Provide non-academic support to candidates,
- Work with higher education partners to ensure candidates are on track to graduate
● Oversee the production and execution of GYO curriculum for candidates
- Plan and facilitate monthly cohort meetings with candidates
- Help to develop leadership skills of candidates
● Maintain candidate database
● Collaborate with recruitment staff to develop and maintain relationships with neighborhood schools and principals, community organizations and local service providers
● Maintain relationships with higher education partners
● Represent GYO, as needed, at coalition and partner meetings
● Create and distribute outreach materials and programmatic updates
● Assist with statewide advocacy work, and
● Assist with organizational fundraising efforts
● Passion for a just and equitable public school system
● Experience with the public education system
● Experience working with diverse communities
● Experience working in low-income communities of color
● Ability to understand, interpret and implement the policies and procedures of the Higher Education System
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Ability to keep accurate records and prepare reports
● Available to work a flexible schedule including evenings and some weekends
● Excellent networking and organizational skills
● Valid driver’s license and access to an automobile
● Fluency in Spanish preferred
● Minimum 3 years’ experience working with diverse communities in a non-profit, public school or higher education setting
● Program management experience
● Bachelor’s degree
This is a part-time position, requiring 20 hours a week. The salary is $25,000 and does not include benefits. The position will report to the Executive Director and Program Director in Chicago, but the position will be housed in Waukegan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Spanish preferred.
Minimum Education Required