2155 Blackrock Avenue
Responsible for providing support to the staff and clients of the Community – based Homelessness prevention program, in all matters related to housing. Incumbents in t his classification are expected to posses considerable expertise in rent stabilization and control law, housing subsidies, building codes, housing related agencies, dealing with brokers and agents for landlords, and the NYC housing market.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Work with the Assistant Program Director to provide case managers with assistance in matters related to housing.
2. Develop a list of reliable landlords and brokers for the purpose of finding affordable housing.
3. Provide guidance to clients in dealing with housing-related issues.
4. Provide mediation services to clients who are having problems with their landlords.
5. Guide clients pursuing DHCR illegal rent-setting claims.
6. Inspect housing/dwellings to ascertain they do not pose a threat to the health and safety of its occupants.
7. Attend Department and Program meetings as directed.
8. Handle special projects as assigned by the supervisor.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are generally 9:00 AM to 5 PM Monday - Friday. Additional hours may be required to meet program deadlines, or client needs.
Working conditions and physical demands required:
The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- To conduct home visit and outreach within NYC at least 50% of the time, individuals will use public transportation or traverse city streets, occasionally ascend/descent stairs, and be exposed to outside weather conditions.
- Ability to work with the public.
- Ability to position boxes/items at different levels that weigh up to 25 lbs.
- Remain in a stationary position at a work station and use a computer approximately 50% of the time.
- Potential to carry a laptop to offsite work locations.
Education and/or experience required:
- Bachelor Degree or relevant experience in the field.
Skills, Licenses, and/or competencies required:
- Excellent interpersonal and commutation skills, strong organizational and computer literate.
Minimum Education Required