Full-time, exempt, Seattle or San Francisco Bay Area
Magic Cabinet ("MC") is a philanthropic foundation that seeks to fundamentally redefine how philanthropy and nonprofits partner for sustainable and thriving communities. We are looking for a Development Director to help deepen our relationships with major donors, philanthropic peers, and community investors. We aim to expedite the adoption and investment into trust-based and equitable grantmaking with solid relationships and partnership in hand.
The Development Director is responsible for creating and implementing an ambitious development plan to deliver funds to nonprofit organizations in an equitable and supportive way. This work will involve expanding Magic Cabinet's network by attracting new donors to the foundation and its nonprofit partners. This position reports to Magic Cabinet’s Executive Director and collaborates with the foundation team to transform strategy and learnings into amplified impact.
You are well qualified if you have/are:
- An established portfolio of major capital projects with goals of $10,000,000.00+ or a proven track record of raising B+ rounds of venture capital funds in a start-up environment
- Experience building new teams, processes, and procedures from the ground up
- Deep experience developing new relationships and securing funds with major donors or investors
- Experience and or excitement for building equitable practices in fundraising
- Comfortable, willing, and interested in advocating for a new approach to grantmaking that challenges established best practices
- A passion for racial, social, environmental, and economic justice
- Experience working with culturally, economically, and racially diverse groups
- Comfort presenting in front of groups of people
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, and verbal communication skills, including public speaking and relationship building
- The ability to commit to frequent regional and domestic travel**When deemed safe by federal, state, and local governments
- Experience working independently and with minimal oversight
The Development Director will be responsible for:
Strategy and Execution:
- The development of a moves management plan and gift acceptance policy to track and support philanthropic relationships and investment
- Establishing the framework for a whole development team and hiring strategy to meet development goals
- Identify strategic and programmatic opportunities learned from working in partnership with MC peers and by analyzing current and emerging sector trends
- Creating, managing, and updating shared documents, reports, and analysis tools
- Collaborating with financial teams on the movement of funds
- Attending select MC board meetings, retreats, donor and cultivation events as an ambassador of Magic Cabinet, its partners, and its values
- Being responsive to varying and evolving needs and opportunities
- Meeting regularly with philanthropic and foundation peers to best understand individual needs and sector-wide opportunity
- Advocating for MC's unique approach to participatory and trust-based philanthropy
- Capturing relational activities for internal reports, relationship management, and strategy development
- Helping the team stay current on philanthropic trends through research and connections with experts in the field
- Seeking opportunities to learn from and share new grantmaking and evaluation approaches, models, and best/promising practices
- Working with MC peers to develop, host, and participate in regional events that support collaboration and networking among nonprofit and foundation partners
- Participating in sharing and discussion of internal team successes and failures
- Working with members of the development team to help set individual and group goals
- Presenting at conferences, classes, and other community events to share the MC model and highlight our partners' work and impact
We're looking for a Development Director who is:
- Passionate about the power of philanthropy and driven to deepen and amplify its impact
- Committed to locally inclusive communities and the nonprofit sector
- Excited by the prospect of developing and implementing new and creative strategies
- An excellent written and oral communicator with a high degree of emotional intelligence
- Energized by building new relationships and a passion for network weaving
- Highly organized with keen attention to detail and process
- Confident and with a proven track record of completing complex projects with multiple sets of stakeholders
- Intellectually curious with a deep respect for community-centric learning and a drive for personal and sector-wide improvement
- A creative problem solver who thrives in a growth-mindset
- An active listener who can quickly translate words into action
- Excited about joining a small, well-funded, and growing foundation; empowered by the prospect of further refining their role on an expanding team
- Goal-oriented with a deep respect for incremental analysis, refinement, and flexibility
- Comfortable engaging in and contributing to a flat-level, consensus-driven decision-making process
- Aware of societal and personal bias, comfortable engaging in dialog surrounding its presence, and committed to dismantling its influence
- A team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with various partners and staff graciously and with a sense of humor
- An experienced professional with a high level of comfort working with all walks of people
The Magic Cabinet provides all full-time employees with:
- Medical insurance covered at 100% for you,90% for your dependents
- Generous dental and vision care stipend for you and your dependents
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer match
- Yearly 401(k) bonus
- Ample paid time off (PTO)
- Progressive parental leave program
- An automatic 3% cost of living adjustment (COLA) on annual work anniversaries
- The ability to work from the office or home**Currently, all team members are working from home exclusively and will continue to do so until state and local COVID-19 recommendations change
- Home office stipend for internet and other home office needs
- Ample foundation-paid continuing education and networking opportunities
If you are interested in joining Magic Cabinet as our new Development Director, please send your resume and a short (300 words max) personal introduction to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Individuals will be asked to undergo a background check as a final step in the hiring process. Having a prior criminal record will not automatically disqualify highly qualified candidates.
More on Magic Cabinet's Mission, Vision, and Values:
Magic Cabinet champions communities' work by partnering with nonprofits and other philanthropists to achieve the nonprofits' missions. We do this by providing long-term capacity-building grants, access to peer networks, and advocating for the broader adoption of collaborative, trust-based philanthropic practice. We believe that nonprofits, community, and philanthropy can help build a just and equitable world by working in solidarity.
Five values guide all of Magic Cabinet's internal and external work:
- Ongoing Partnership. We engage in deep, collaborative, long-term relationships through multi-year grants, our investments in nonprofits, and support.
- Equity. We purposefully and actively redistribute power to weigh community voice.
- Trust. We support authentic and reciprocal relationships amongst nonprofit peers.
- Flexibility. We are committed to listening and adapting to ever-changing community needs and contexts.
- Informed Decision Making. We ground ourselves in data and translate research and feedback into innovative practice.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Magic Cabinet is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate community leadership while cultivating an inclusive environment for all employees.