2600 Virginia Ave NW
EMPEA is seeking an entry-level, full-time Research Analyst to support its efforts to produce industry data, analysis, in-depth reports and presentations for private markets investment professionals and related stakeholders. EMPEA’s data and statistics are widely used by its members and other industry professionals for global comparative analysis of private capital activity—inclusive of private equity, venture capital, private credit, private infrastructure and real assets. EMPEA’s research content is disseminated in the market via proprietary publications, media coverage, conferences/events and the EMPEA website.
The successful candidate will join a dedicated, high-energy team of individuals with an outstanding track record. The culture is supportive and team oriented, but in common with the industry that the team serves, standards are extremely high and excellence is a daily requirement rather than the exception.
The Research Analyst’s primary responsibility will be improving the quality of the information in EMPEA’s proprietary database of firms, funds, investments and exits by:
- Systematically collecting information on private capital activity through third-party sources, as well as through direct communication with EMPEA members and other industry stakeholders;
- Interpreting and entering this information in EMPEA’s proprietary database and knowledge management systems;
- Contributing to the ongoing improvement of EMPEA’s data management systems;
- Cultivating relationships with EMPEA member firms and other industry stakeholders to support direct data collection efforts; and,
- Building quarterly data products and ad hoc presentations and reports in Excel and PowerPoint.
Other responsibilities include concise analytical writing for regional and thematic reports and EMPEA’s weekly newsletter, as well as compiling a weekly reading pack of the most important news in the industry for distribution to the entire EMPEA staff. The position will report to EMPEA’s Senior Director, Research.
- Bachelor’s degree with coursework in economics, finance, international affairs, statistics, mathematics or similar
- One year of work experience, ideally in a data-intensive research capacity
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Proven analytical ability and attentiveness to detail
- Strong desire to learn about the private equity and venture capital industry
- Passion for emerging and frontier economies
- Demonstrated primary and secondary research skills
- Ability both to thrive in a close-knit team environment and to work independently
- Basic to intermediate understanding of financial markets
- Proficiency in an emerging market language
- Strong Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Experience building and managing large datasets
This position does not require formal financial services experience. However, a keen interest in both the private investment landscape and emerging markets is essential. The Research Analyst will gain an in-depth understanding of fund managers, institutional investors and industry advisors active in emerging markets, as well as cross-border issues impacting investment and trends shaping the industry.
EMPEA offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, an industry-leading benefits package and an exciting, collegial team environment.
Please note: Only candidates authorized to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis will be considered. EMPEA will not offer H1B sponsorship for the position.
The target start date for this position is January 2018.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume by 6:00pm ET, 14 December 2018 via OneWire.
- Submissions should be addressed to the attention of Jeff Schlapinski, Senior Director, Research.
- Only applications that include a cover letter will be considered. No exceptions.
- No phone calls or direct emails please. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.