Position Summary: The High School Placement Coordinator is responsible for structuring and implementing specific education development programming within GEMS. The High School Placement Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating the program, planning related events and activities, and providing education/vocation-related case management.
Tasks and Responsibilities: This statement of duties is for purpose of identifying this position but it is not limited to:
- Develop and review partnerships with schools and programs members regularly attend and receive services from, and provide advocacy and intervention appropriately.
- Research and compile a list of schools and programs that are better positioned with resources and services to support the challenges faced by members.
- Research and compile a list of scholarships and financial resources which commonly apply to GEMS members (foster care, homeless youth, etc.).
- Update and edit the Education Resource Binder, and all program manuals and contracts.
- Track financial incentives (including monthly Metrocards), process internal scholarship/grant applications, and complete check requests and expense reports in a timely manner.
- In collaboration with Support Services Manager and Youth Development Coordinator, manage volunteer recruitment, training and follow-up.
- Coordinate GEMS volunteer tutoring program to ensure consistent scheduling and appropriate programming.
- Serve as liaison between members and volunteer tutors.
- In coordination with the Youth Development Coordinator, plan, facilitate and manage weekly educational group activities and monthly Educational Initiative Support Groups.
- Plan Educational Initiative Ceremonies and related events. Responsible for data collection, documenting and reporting on program outcomes, outputs and quality indicators.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the Educational Initiative program, and use results to improve.
- In coordination with other direct services staff, provide coverage and management of drop-in center during business hours.
Education/Vocation-Related Case Management:
- Process internal referrals and work with case managers to determine member educational readiness.
- Create and implement pre-education plans with members who are not ready to enroll in the appropriate grade or program.
- Enroll members into the E.I. program and meet to assess their educational/vocational needs and goals, and create a plan within their existing Individual Service Plans.
- Assist members in registering and enrolling in schools or programs, and in applying for financial aid.
- In conjunction with members’ case managers, utilize a team approach to provide regular check-ins, case management and advocacy.
- Track and document incremental progress toward the achievement of member-identified educational/vocational goals tied to key program outcomes.
- Provide referrals and follow-up for individualized tutoring within GEMS.
- Track member attendance and topics covered.
- Provide well-informed referrals and follow-up for services GEMS cannot provide.
- Provide crisis intervention services during and after regular work hours as needed.
- Distribute and track financial incentives, including monthly Metrocards.
- Bachelor’s degree in social work, education or related social and/or human science field. Master’s Degree a plus.
- Eligible to work in U.S. At least 3 years of experience in program coordination.
- Ability to administer youth programs.
- Have strong experience in youth development, educational and/or leadership programming
- Have 2 – 3 years of experience in overseeing youth job readiness, internship, or job placement programs.
- Exhibit an understanding of CSEC and human trafficking.
- Exhibit dedication to young women’s health and development.
- Have experience working with diverse population, including low income families and people affected by trauma.
- Be creative and innovative.
Attention to Detail
Attitude Toward Others
Excellent written and verbal communication
Project/Task and Goals Focus
Respect for Policies
GEMS Core Values
Social Justice Oriented