Details: commensurate with education and experience
1400 Main Drive Northwest
District of Columbia
District of Columbia International School (DCI) is a public charter middle and high school in DC. We aim to provide our students with a world-class education that empowers them to follow their passions and change the world. DCI’s education centers on the:
- International Baccalaureate curriculum framework;
- Advanced language learning in Chinese, Spanish and French; and
- A culture focused on student agency supported by 1:1 technology.
We currently serve 800 racially and economically diverse students in grades 6-10. We have moved to our beautiful new building on the Walter Reed campus, where we will grow into a 6-12 middle and high school and serve 1500 students.
While only in our fourth year, DCI has become an IB World School and has been rated Tier 1, the highest rating by the Public Charter School Board. We are dramatically increasing our staff in 2017-18 and look forward to receiving your application. Come join a great team building a great school!
Position Overview: This teaching position entails both instructional and case management responsibilities for providing special education services and supports to students with exceptional learning needs at DCI during the school year.
Qualifications: The successful applicant for this position will have:
- Bachelor's degree (minimum) Master’s preferred from an accredited institution in Special Education.
- Ability to meet HQT requirements under NCLB
- Experience as a special education teacher, secondary experience preferred
- Experience working closely with diverse families of special education students
- Knowledge about special education practice and regulations, particularly those pertaining to DC schools
- The ability to collaborate and work as part of a team
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong interest in, or experience with, language immersion, 1:1 technology, and IB Middle Years Program model
- Commitment to keeping current on best practices and evidence-based interventions in special education, technology, and general education
- Commitment to ensuring access and achievement for our learners with exceptional learning needs
The Special Education Teacher will:
- Provide instruction to DCI students with Individual Education Plans (IEPs)
- Write, deliver, and monitor IEPs
- Conduct special education meetings and case management functions
- Collaborate with general education teachers and related service providers
- Collaborate closely with education leadership
- Keep current on all OSSE regulations and initiatives
- Demonstrate effective advocacy and transition planning for students with disabilities at DCI
- Provide a high degree of communication through a variety of mediums with parents and students
- Advise students, including teach an advisory class using our school curriculum, and support other aspects of the school’s instructional program.
- Embrace French, Spanish, and Chinese cultures by leading and participating in cultural activities for faculty and students
- Ensure that our 1:1 Chromebooks program is implemented effectively for students by infusing technology into instruction
- Fulfill other duties as assigned
DCI faculty and staff embrace the rigor and commitment necessary to build a shared culture and vision. We want you to join our team dedicated to social justice, environmental stewardship, diversity, internationalism, and interdisciplinary education as reflected in the International Baccalaureate curriculum framework. We expect that all of our students can achieve academically at the very highest levels. Our mission statement reflects our core values: DC International School inspires inquiring, engaged, knowledgeable and caring secondary students who are multi-lingual, culturally competent, and committed to proactively creating a socially just and sustainable world.
DC International School is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural and multilingual environment.
DCI is committed to the principles of servant leadership and to providing faculty and staff with the resources and training they need to provide an excellent education experience for every student and family.
- We have a benefits package that includes health and disability insurance and paid leave.
- We offer teachers daily planning time, professional development, and reasonable class sizes.
- Teachers and staff have the appropriate technology and support to do their work.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send you resume and cover letter to email@example.com