55 Exchange Place
SEO Scholars is a free eight-year academic program that helps get talented, low-income public high school students to and through college.
SEO Scholars seeks additional math and English Language Arts (ELA) educators to implement a rigorous, college prep curriculum for our motivated and driven high school students. We are looking for passionate educators with a student-centered approach to teaching and learning.
- Teach a rigorous, inspiring curriculum!
- All lesson plans and all curricular materials are provided
- High-quality professional development and training
- SEO provides professional development, individual coaching, and opportunities to engage with other instructors in a collegial, inspiring environment that encourages reflection and growth.
- Promote depth of understanding along with skill acquisition
- Instructors are considered thinking coaches and facilitators of learning who support students’ deep engagement with course content.
- Teaching Load - Teach four Critical Reading hours OR two Critical Writing hours and two Grammar hours OR four mathematics hours. Instructors teach two classes of approximately 20 students (4 hours of teaching per day).
- Attendance & Punctuality - Commit to teach on all scheduled days of programming, arrive to programming on time (30 min before first class), and attend all meetings as scheduled by staff.
- Careful Preparation – Read and annotate all lesson materials prior to teaching.
- Instruction - Follow the required lesson plans and meet lesson objectives. Meet criteria for rigorous instruction.
- Record Keeping – Keep electronic gradebook up to date and complete all grading in a timely manner.
- Feedback – Provide written feedback on at least five students per week.
- Abide by all SEO Procedures and Policies.
Saturday Academy begins on Saturday, September 8th and ends on Saturday, December 15th. Classes meet approximately three Saturdays a month from 9:30 AM – 4:30 PM. The twelve dates for Fall 2018 are as follows: 9/8, 9/15, 9/22, 10/6, 10/13, 10/20, 11/3, 11/10, 11/17, 12/1, 12/8, 12/15.
Instructors lead 4 one-hour classes of approximately 20 students (each instructor teaches 40 students total, and sees each group of 20 for two separate 1-hour classes).
Saturday Academy is held at two different sites, one in mid-Manhattan and one in Downtown Brooklyn. We do our best to match instructors with the more convenient location, but cannot guarantee instructors their site preference.
The ideal candidate:
- Has NYC-based high school teaching experience and a genuine love for teaching
- Has expertise and depth of knowledge in either ELA/social studies or math content
- Is passionate about student learning and completely dedicated to students’ success
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Is an energetic, reflective, and conscientious teacher looking to join a supportive and diverse community committed to securing social justice through education
- Is motivated and inspired by SEO Scholars’ mission
Saturday Academy Instructors are compensated at a starting per diem rate of $325. The per diem rate includes all preparation, meetings (including orientations), emails, grading, completion of anecdotals, report card comment writing, and online gradebook maintenance associated with the instructor’s assigned classes.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply through our website: www.seoscholars.org/teach-with-us/
Please note that the deadline to apply is Friday, August 17th. Thank you!
Sponsors for Educational Opportunity is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/D/V