Details: $27-$30 per hour commensurate with experience.
621 Degraw Street
Employee Type: Regular Part-time, 21-24 hours per week, flexible
Title: Staff Accountant
Department: Administration and Fiscal
Brooklyn Workforce Innovations (BWI) is a nonprofit workforce development organization. BWI helps jobless and working poor New Yorkers establish careers in sectors that offer good wages and opportunities for advancement (www.bwiny.org). BWI seeks a highly motivated, experienced accounting professional for the position of Staff Accountant to oversee accounting functions for BWI.
The Staff Accountant is responsible for the day-to-day administration of all organizational financial matters for a non-profit workforce development organization serving 800+ beneficiaries annually with an annual budget of approximately $6 million. The Staff Accountant will also coordinate activities with programmatic, fundraising, administrative units, and maintain oversight of some external financial relationships.
S/he will report to BWI’s affiliate organization’s Director of Finance and regularly collaborate with BWI’s Executive Director and Assistant Director.
- Maintain an accounting system (FundEZ, or “FEZ”) with multiple funding streams including foundation and corporate grants, government contracts, individual donations and earned income. Tasks include but are not limited to:
- processing checks
- recording cash receipts into FEZ
- preparing bank deposits
- reconciling bank and credit card statements monthly
- recording payroll entries in FEZ
- preparing journal entries
- executing month-end close
- reconciling vouchers to the GL
- Input and track the annual budget by individual units. Enter budget in FEZ.
- Maintain the computerized general ledger to include the tracking of grants, programs, and special events, restricted and unrestricted activity.
- Accurately record and track payroll, revenue, expense, and balance sheet activity.
- Prepare and distribute monthly financial and management reports – budget variance in total and by unit, and all contract and grant reports that require fund accounting.
- Ensure that reports are accurate for audits. Prepare audit schedules.
- Work effectively with the Fundraising, Program and administrative staff to ensure accurate financial reporting.
- Prepare government contract vouchering.
- Create and maintain files.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 2 years prior fund accounting experience required.
- Prior experience with FundEZ software strongly preferred.
- Non-profit accounting experience strongly preferred.
- Experience reading and deciphering automated payroll reports.
- College degree required; accounting degree preferred.
- Outstanding (oral and written) communication, critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Must be goal-driven and results-oriented with a friendly and professional demeanor.
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and as a member of a team, and with a wide variety of stakeholders, including government agencies and vendors.
- Ability to multi‐task while maintaining attention to detail and exercise excellent judgment.
- Strong commitment to BWI’s mission.
- Flexibility to work more hours during audit season (July to Sept).
BWI offers a competitive benefits package including paid time off for regular part-time staff.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email cover letter, resume, and salary requirement by June 1, 2018 to:
Aaron Shiffman, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include “BWI Staff Accountant” in the subject line.
No phone calls, please.
Only applications with a cover letter, resume and salary requirement will be considered. BWI is an equal opportunity employer (EEO). People of color, community residents and women are strongly encouraged to apply