UW Medicine Advancement has an outstanding opportunity for a Special Events Coordinator.
Nearly 28,000 caring professionals come together each day at UW Medicine with a singular mission: to improve the health of the public. UW Medicine encompasses a top-rated medical school, an internationally recognized research center and a renowned health system that includes Harborview Medical Center, UW Medical Center – Montlake, UW Medical Center – Northwest, Valley Medical Center, UW Neighborhood Clinics, UW Physicians, UW School of Medicine and Airlift Northwest. In the 2021 fiscal year, UW Medicine Advancement raised $377 million in gifts and private grants (52 percent of the University of Washington’s total) from over 18,000 donors to support the mission of UW Medicine. The University of Washington completed a 10-year, multi-billion-dollar campaign in 2020, during which UW Medicine raised over $2.5 billion.
UW Medicine Advancement is hiring a Special Events Coordinator (Coordinator) to serve as a vital member of a five-person Special Events team. The Coordinator will provide administrative and technical support to a team that conducts 50-75 special events and engagement activities each year that further UW Medicine Advancement’s fundraising and alumni relations goals. Examples of special events include small donor cultivation events, laboratory tours, digital engagement events and large-scale events such as the annual alumni reunion weekend and biannual fundraising gala.
The Coordinator will be responsible for event-related technology and digital engagement including A/V setup and maintenance, building invitation and post-event emails in Marketo, creating the registration process in Cvent, editing post-event videos and coordinating online events on Zoom and other digital event platforms. The Coordinator will provide administrative support for all UW Medicine events including tracking RSVPs, printing and collating event materials, producing nametags and scheduling planning meetings. In addition to event support, the Coordinator will also manage post-event tracking and reporting, inform updates to the Advance database, and compile relevant event analytics to inform future decision making. The Special Events Coordinator will report to the Director for Special Events.
Data, Technology and Administration Management - 30%
- Maintain a sophisticated and comprehensive database of giving history and collateral on prospects, donors and event attendees and sync database with main University Advancement database.
- Utilize a combination of technology including all programs within Microsoft Office, to ensure clear and accurate communication and presentation of programs, schedules and budgets.
- Process all tickets, registrations, gifts and invoices associated with the special events program.
- Serve as primary coordinator for all event invitee related data including compiling a guest list, cross-checking for accuracy and reconciliation. Manage guest registration submissions utilizing Marketo and Cvent web systems or other systems as technology evolves.
- Manage event analytics including post-event coding, tracking event engagement and pulling reports.
- Review event technology needs and assist with setup and maintenance of all internal technology including laptops, projectors, microphones, soundboards and web-based event technology based within Zoom.
- Serve as technology liaison as University Advancement migrates to new CRM(s) and future technology.
- Prepare all event associated on-site collateral including nametags, place cards, gift bags, registration lists, seating cards, etc.
- Lead and execute on-site registration for events.
- Perform complex scheduling and related duties as required.
- Coordinate and monitor budgets, particularly income and expenses for events and activities.
- Perform administrative duties including preparing mileage reimbursements, ordering supplies, printing nametags and booking travel.
Guest and Constituency Relations – 30%
- Provide timely, outstanding customer service to event registrants with an advanced level of professionalism.
- Interact with alumni, donors, students, supporters and others at event registration sites.
- Provide training and consultation to colleagues and volunteers.
- Exercise independent judgment in developing relationships with affiliated or potentially affiliated individuals of the University of Washington and UW Medicine such as volunteers, donors, faculty, staff, University alumni, corporate supporters and students.
- Serve as liaison to University Advancement, Donor Relations, unit financial administrators and other units as required.
Event Communications and Research – 20%
- Assist UW Medicine Advancement Special Events team with marketing and communications to build registration webpages, invitation materials, publicity plans and internet communications, which effectively promote special events and activities.
- Manage calendar of events and internal communication to campus partners regarding UW Medicine Advancement activities.
Event Planning – 10%
- Coordinate small events and activities that will encourage support for fundraising and/or other major initiatives for UW Medicine.
Fundraising – 5%
- Identify, solicit and secure event underwriting and sponsorships (corporate, individual, media) on occasion for special events and activities.
Perform Other Related Duties As Assigned – 5%
- Bachelor's degree in any field or equivalent experience.
- At least two years of experience in administrative support, event planning, alumni relations, advancement, or public relations, .
- Values the UW’s commitment to inclusiveness. Demonstrated respect and commitment to diversity.
- Proficient skills in key Microsoft programs (Excel and Word a must, including mail merges; Access preferred but not required); design and visual sensibility.
- Comfort exploring and learning new systems of technology quickly and independently.
- A strict attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills and customer service. Poised, professional manner with the ability to express oneself clearly and empathetically in interactions with others in all forms of communications, verbal and written, one-on-one and group, etc. Ability to communicate in a direct and professional manner that engages dialog in a manner that resolves differences.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain positive relationships and actively contributes as a member of working teams to achieve results.
- Ability to work independently, problem solve, take initiative, set priorities and handle multiple projects efficiently and effectively. Take responsibility and initiative to set and meet the goals, objectives and obligations while representing the mission, visions and values of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidences and protect confidential information; act in a selfless manner and model ethical values of the UW.
- Skills with content management programs; skills with Customer Relationship Management software such as Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce, Advance or a comparable data management program; Advanced knowledge of Access database management.
- Comfort using web tools such as Cvent/Marketo/Zoom.
- Strong customer service ethics and high expections for quality. Ability to mange multiple projects and work assignments.
- Passion for special events, database management, administrative functions.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must have own transportation and be able to transport items such as signage and event materials to event locations and travel efficiently between multiple locations within the greater Seattle area.
- Must be able to standing in one place for event staffing, to be able to carry a maximum weight of 25 lbs (such as a case of wine) and be able to push and pull handcarts and handcarts to transport events equipment and supplies.
- Flexibility to work weekends and evenings for events and event preparation.