Overview of the Role
The Foundation Relations Manager is responsible for the identification, cultivation, solicitation and securing gifts and grants from corporations and foundations in order to grow support for JSA’s mission. Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, this position is externally-facing with the strategic ability to build partnerships and the portfolio with new corporate and foundation supporters. As a key member of our development team, you will work with JSA’s leadership team, development team, and program staff to ensure that current foundation gifts are managed and maintained to capacity. He/she will proactively identify corporate connections that senior leadership should connect with. As the Foundation Relations Manager, you will successfully meet revenue goals for corporate and foundation fundraising by developing and implementing short and long-range cultivation and solicitation strategies. You will call and meet with prospects and existing partners and be responsible for supporting the mission of JSA by proactively securing grants from corporations, foundations, individuals, and government agencies that support civic education and strengthening American democracy.
The ideal candidate must proactively lead the research for investigating funding sources and seek out new opportunities with potential JSA partners (funders) who are aligned with our mission. The Foundation Relations Manager must be able to produce high-quality, compelling, and successful letters of inquiry, proposals and reports. Must be self-motivated, detail oriented, and highly organized, and have experience using online databases and other sources to locate philanthropic information. If you have a proven track record of successfully securing foundation grants with high quality measurable results, then JSA is the right place for you!
• Direct all aspects of foundation fundraising to expand the support for JSA programs by overseeing execution of grants portfolio including research and prospecting, proposal and report writing, and stewardship activities;
• Demonstrated internal and external leadership in the realms of philanthropic thought leadership and impact assessment;
• Initiate ongoing communication with key JSA staff to analyze funding needs, gaps and opportunities;
• Design and implement strategies, build relationships with foundation donors to increase the funding pipeline with donors aligned with JSA’s mission;
• Manage efficient operational system to ensure accurate records and timely communication with funders; oversee grants calendar and maintain up-to-date database records for all institutional donors;
• Collect and synthesize information about JSA programs as needed to make strongest case for support;
• Develop a deep understanding of program content to ensure integrity and quality of proposal writing;
• Serve as technical writer for JSA by integrating methodologies, logic models, monitoring and Evaluation Data, and Qualitative Information into all proposals. Work closely with program staff to collect and measure data;
• Lead proposal generation process including coordinating with key staff to produce and submit compelling high-quality proposals that can obtain significant support for JSA’s programs;
• Design accurate logic models with realistic outcomes and benchmarks;
• Develop materials showing progress of JSA programs for donor updates and ongoing communications.
• Earnest and sincere commitment to JSA’s mission and values;
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant field required, a Master’s degree and non-profit management experience preferred;
• Minimum of 5+ years of professional experience in nonprofit development and foundation relations;
• High energy, positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, teamwork and attention to detail;
• Successful track record for securing significant multi-year commitments from institutional donors;
• Exceptional interpersonal and communications skills and the ability to gather and distill relevant data/information and disseminate it throughout the organization;
• Superior knowledge of and proven experience writing proposals to large corporate, foundation and government donors, and an understanding of technical and financial requirements for large grants;
• Experience crafting LOIs, concept papers, proposals, and stewardship materials with aptitude for creating budgets, designing logic models, and drafting compelling case statements;
• Strong project management skills, ability to successfully execute multiple, simultaneous projects on time with quality results and consistently meet tight deadlines;
• Ability to communicate clearly, effectively, and persuasively both verbally and in writing;
• Excellent research, organizational and communication skills with demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively;
• Experience tracking communication and donor activity in a CRM, preferably Salesforce
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive annual compensation, commensurate with experience, and by an extensive benefits package that includes paid time off; compensatory time off; Employee Assistance Program; medical, dental and vision benefits; and a commitment to individual growth and professional development.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply: Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org