At iDE, we believe entrepreneurs are everywhere. Our team is working to catalyze a movement to generational prosperity across the globe and reach 40 million people by 2021. We are an unconventional, progressive nonprofit organization that believes in the power of entrepreneurship to solve the world’s most pressing problems. We look for innovative ways to leverage our market-based approach and transform the lives of millions of people in a way that creates lasting and meaningful change. As a leader in market based development, we believe in the power of business to fight poverty. We are proud of our successes to date which include reaching over 34.2 million people so far in the developing world with products or services that increase incomes and improve lives. Water pumps, drip irrigation kits, improved seeds, and other agricultural inputs have enabled millions of rural farmers to produce more and build their businesses. We have facilitated the sales of nearly one million water filters and latrines, creating tremendous health and livelihood benefits. We continue to expand our impact, focused since 2015 on reaching a total of 40 million people—20 million more than when we started in 1982—in a fraction of the time. We’re also building social enterprises that are sustainable and always exploring new products and services through our human-centered design process.
The Fund Development Associate prospects, solicits and stewards corporate, foundation and individual investments with the main goal of funding the vision for long-term prosperity and health in rural communities around the world. This person demonstrates understanding of organizational priorities, mission, vision, values and strategic goals and objectives, as well as trust and teamwork in all aspects of iDE business.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & JOB FUNCTIONS:
The primary responsibility of this position is to help grow the unrestricted portion of the organization’s annual $27M budget and cultivate relationships with corporate, foundation and individual donors to maintain and generate donations.
- Build and retain a robust portfolio of annual fund donors that give from $200-$2,500 per year initially, with the objective of increasing contributions each year. Grow the total net worth of the portfolio to $125,000 - $300,000 annually by identifying, prioritizing, and strategizing on top prospects.
- Maintain formalized communication plan for annual donors and collaborate with the Marketing and Communications team to execute. This includes a segmented communication strategy with customized messaging for different tiers and types of annual donors (corporate, legacy prospects and members, individuals, etc.) to be integrated into annual campaigns and ongoing outreach.
- Support iDE’s Legacy Program. This includes working closely with the Senior Manager to formalize a program in which donors and prospects can make planned and estate gifts, securing membership into this program, and maintaining engagement with these donors through consistent communication and outreach. The Associate will also collaborate with Marketing and Communications to ensure assets are up to date, mailings are implemented on an annual basis, and electronic communication is consistent and strategic.
- Support iDE’s Corporate Partnerships Program. This includes working closely with the Senior Manager to formalize a program in which companies can partner with iDE through sponsorship, corporate grants, employee engagement, cause-related marketing, etc.
- The Associate will work to upgrade current corporate donors and solicit new corporate prospects in order to enhance and expand your fundraising portfolio.
- The Associate will ensure the implementation of customized partnership agreement with a new corporate partner within the portfolio
- The Associate will also collaborate with Marketing and Communications to ensure program assets are up to date, corporate-related mailings are implemented, and electronic communication is consistent and strategic.
- As a Fund Development team member, support and develop Fund Development strategies to maximize the giving potential of defined portfolios of individual, corporate, and foundation donors to achieve or surpass iDE’s annual revenue goal.
- The Associate will apply customized strategies for targeted major gift prospects which will require communication (emails and phone calls) and direct asks for financial support (can include grant proposals and reports).
- Actively identify and research new prospects and follow-up as appropriate, prioritizing in-person visits with qualified prospects over email communication.
- Become deeply familiar with each account’s special needs and with iDE’s strategy and assets in order to maximize the stakeholder to champion, invite, and invest in our work.
- Meet with Fund Development to establish engagement plans for donors and prospects.
- Work with the Fund Development team to identify the organization’s immediate and long-term funding priorities and accurately communicate those needs with the donors in the Associate’s portfolio.
- Work to independently research, develop and draft formal funding proposals and reports as required by each account.
- Work with the Fund Development team to understand and have current knowledge on the activities and strategies of other iDE departments (Executive Team, Evidence & Analytics, Global Initiatives, Technical Country Teams, Communications, etc) in order to leverage and deliver engagement opportunities that ensure donors’ financial and non-financial support is maximized.
- Personalize acknowledgements to donors as needed, after renewing commitments or increasing support to iDE.
- Develop and implement stewardship and reporting strategies once gifts are secured.
- Track and record all donor details, meetings, interactions and prospect research consistently, using Salesforce and work with Database Manager to regularly monitor account progress through the donor pipeline.
- Support and attend conferences, trade shows, and other events where iDE is present, as required.
- Work with the Director of Development to generate monthly donor visit reports and quarterly financial projections.
- Present at speaking engagements as opportunities arise.
- Conduct administrative duties, such as booking business travel, setting appointments and preparing materials necessary for donor visits.
BEHAVIORS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Demonstrates success working with donors and securing gifts.
- Confidence in working with senior-level stakeholders both internally and externally in order to secure donations.
- Understands ethical behavior and business practices, and ensures that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Embodies an attitude of possibility and leads others to embrace this orientation as well.
- Is self-confident, not fazed by tough questions or criticism, open to feedback and coachable.
- Has well-developed written, oral, interpersonal, and communication skills, with a high level of sensitivity for professionalism, propriety and confidentiality.
- Has a genuine appreciation for and understanding of the approach iDE takes to solving poverty.
- Has the ability to manage competing priorities.
- An unwavering commitment to delivering quality information, both orally and in writing.
- Possesses cultural competency, empathy, and integrity. These qualities are critically important to be able to engage the wide range of stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds and cultures.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- 2+ years of experience in sales, fundraising, or marketing/communications.
- Experience working within a fast-paced, entrepreneurial organization.
- Ability to be a creative thinker, energetic and demonstrate enthusiasm and leadership.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to write concisely, compile and/or edit materials.
- Computer proficiency in MS Office Suite is required, Salesforce experience and proficiency in Google Suite are a plus.
- Fluent English required.
- Associates degree required, Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Approximately 10-20% time commitment to domestic travel for meetings with top prospects in the Associate’s portfolio.
- Ability to travel internationally to rural areas often in rugged and uncomfortable conditions.
- Open office environment with a culture of collaboration.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; sit; and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
OTHER PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Office equipment, including but not limited to: printer, computer, meeting spaces, etc.
- Office building access includes stairs and elevator.
- Working across timezones may mean working, having calls, and conducting meetings outside of regular working hours.