Security Information Analyst Officer P4 - FIT Pool- All Locations
- Job posted by World Food Programme
Full Time Contract
Via Cesare Giulio Viola
ABOUT WFP AND THE FIT POOL
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. At WFP, we are driven and defined by our mission to fight world hunger, save lives, feed people’s dreams of a brighter future, reduce risk and help enable people, communities and countries meet their own food and nutrition needs. WFP goes anywhere it’s needed and does what it takes to get the job done. You will find our people at the heart of every major humanitarian intervention around the world, providing the essential life-saving foundation required for those furthest behind. Each year, we reach an average of 80 million people with food assistance in around 80 countries. Delivering our mission requires deep respect for personal and cultural differences and close collaboration between every member of our global team. While the 15,000 people working for WFP reflect the rich diversity of the world in which we work, the vital importance of our shared mission underpins a remarkably close community of purpose.
The World Food Programme (WFP) is offering life-changing job opportunities you are unlikely to find in other organizations. Working at WFP will give you the opportunity to work beyond your expectations, to be enriched by truly meaningful work and deepen your professional expertise.
The Future International Talent pool (FIT Pool) is an entry point for a professional international career with WFP. WFP is looking to build a pool of highly qualified and dynamic talents interested in going to any of our 80 countries in which WFP operates, including hardship duty stations, when the need arises.
A FIT Pool member is placed on the pool for a period up to 2 years during which he/ she is considered with priority each time WFP has a specific need for a Fixed Term International Professional staff member in his functional area and level.
To independently analyse and contextualize complex security information that identifies potential impact on WFP personnel, assets and operations, formulating well-based judgements enabling WFP’s security to acquire, process and effectively communicate security threat information, supporting decision-making and ensuring operational success.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the general supervision and guidance of the most Senior Security Officer at the duty station
- Lead the identification of business requirements and coordinate security information analysis influencing solid planning and sound decision-making at strategic level.
- Monitor security incidents, daily situation reports, local media and other open sources to enable comprehensive and reliable security information analysis.
- Conduct and/or coordinate comprehensive research on security threats and risks determining information relevance, validity and reliability of sources ensuring security information analysis is readily-made available for decision-making.
- Evaluate and address complex security information requirements by applying agreed approaches and methodologies in security information analysis consistent with WFP and wider United Nations security information management policies, guidelines and procedures.
- Conduct and/or coordinate research on specific threat factors providing solid recommendations to support activities of the Crisis Management Team ensuring effective response to specific security incidents.
- Review and/or provide analytical security updates, security analysis reports, statistics and trends analysis, strategic warnings and assessments contributing to other security reports enhancing stakeholder understanding and decision-making.
- Develop security information management strategies, policies, guidelines and security operating procedures, consistent security advisories and recommendations ensuring improvement and that security analysis strategy is aligned with the overall organizational security reporting requirements.
- Provide comprehensive conflict analysis assessing security implications on WFP personnel, assets and operations to influence WFP’s access strategy, improve conflict-sensitive and gender-sensitive programming and protection-related efforts.
- Provide oversight, guidance and technical advice to drive the quality, consistency and standardisation of security analysis processes, practices and reporting ensuring information harmonization across WFP.
- Develop and foster security information management mechanisms enabling rapid and co-ordinated information management and exchange.
- Coordinate cross-functionally at different levels contributing to the development of a common operating picture and to the determination of risks to the organization.
- Proactively build and maintain important partnership networks within and outside WFP for effective information sharing on security analytical papers, security situation, threats, risk analysis and trends enhancing information sharing cohesion.
- Represent WFP at different forums contributing to strategic and technical discussions, exchange of knowledge and experience ensuring effective advocating for WFP position.
- Prepare and/or provide presentations and briefings to WFP personnel, donors and partners on security developments in specific countries/regions, as appropriate.
- Provide technical advice, guidance and training to other WFP personnel building their capabilities on security information analysis and enhancing performance.
- Take responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives in all areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men.
- Other duties as required
STANDARD MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- Advanced University degree in Security Management, International Relations, Law, Political and/or Social Science Analytics or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- A minimum of eight (8) years professional experience in security information analysis, conflict monitoring, conflict risk assessment or early warning.
- Experience in international humanitarian assistance or development.
- Experience in managing teams with multicultural staff with related areas of expertise.
- Experience in leading research projects, perform studies on practical security matters and developing analytical reports and briefings related to security, conflict and/or early warning.
- Experience in developing policies, guidelines and standing operating procedures.
- Experience in managing security-related projects.
- Fluency (level C) in both spoken and written English.
- Intermediate knowledge (level B) of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages).
DESIRED EXPERIENCE/KNOWLEDGE FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Expert knowledge and understanding of methodologies for information acquisition, examination, collation and analysis.
- Expert writing skills with a demonstrated ability to research and draft clear, concise conflict analysis briefs.
- Excellent analytical and conceptual skills; strong organisational skills.
- Experienced in leading research open source and social media research projects and consideration of matters of information security.
- Certified in the United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS)-managed Security Analysis Process and Practice (SAPP) course with a minimum of 80% pass mark.
- Good knowledge of United Nations Security Management System (UNSMS) policies.
- Good knowledge of core humanitarian principles and of security-related challenges in humanitarian assistance.
- Good understanding of core values and competences of the United Nations.
- Ability to manage the delivery of outputs by agreed deadlines, sometimes at very short notice.
- Ability to lead with persons of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Excellent communication skills to develop and maintain working relations with persons in different units and geographical locations.
- Strong ability with MS Word, Excel as well as MS PowerPoint or similar application.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Selected candidates will be placed in the FIT Pool and may be contacted as the needs arise for fixed-term international positions in any of the countries in which WFP operates, including hardship duty stations. The FIT Pool membership will last 2 years.
Mobility is and continues to be a core contractual requirement in WFP. These positions are rotational which means that the incumbent shall be subject to the regular reassignment process unless the position is reclassified as non-rotational. Professional level positions are rotational on a period of 2 to 4 years, mobility is the essence of WFP.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP. Click on: “Where we work” and “Our work” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
To find out more about:
- WFPs work, www.wfp.org
- Compensation https://icsc.un.org/secretariat/sad.asp?include=ss
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
26 April 2018
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply follow the link: