Details: The Political Director is a senior management position offering salary commensurate with experience.
The Political Director is a powerful advocate for San Francisco Bay, leading implementation of Save The Bay’s Strategic Plan 2020 policy initiatives for a healthy Bay in a sustainable Bay Area. The successful candidate is a dynamic and strategic leader, with the vision, judgment and persistence to see opportunities and organize political forces to realize them. S/he leads a team of advocates to success on priority initiatives to benefit the Bay, employing strategy, science and power; mobilizing and uniting diverse interests and communities; and building Save The Bay’s impact, effectiveness and influence.
The Director designs and oversees ambitious campaigns to double the amount of tidal wetlands in the Bay to 100,000 acres, to ensure that zero trash pollutes the Bay from stormwater, and to create Bay Smart Communities that are healthy and climate-resilient. This position reports to the Executive Director, serves on the senior management team, and works with members of the Board of Directors.
- Plan and manage winning campaigns to achieve Save The Bay’s strategic goals; develop work plans, tactics and budgets for policy team and volunteers.
- Advocate successfully for Save The Bay’s policy objectives directly with elected officials, agencies, and stakeholders at the local, state and federal level.
- Lead a team of advocacy professionals to accomplish work plans and achieve excellent results, through grassroots mobilization, direct lobbying and electoral activity.
- Serve as a spokesperson to promote Save The Bay and its campaigns to news media, funders, and other audiences.
- Serve on Save The Bay’s senior management team and work closely with other directors to integrate advocacy objectives throughout the organization.
- Identify and secure project funding, and leverage advocacy campaigns for donor support; cultivate and solicit a portfolio of individual and institutional donors for Save The Bay and Save The Bay Action Fund.
- Support organization strategy development and policy oversight by the Board of Directors and its committees.
- Evaluate outcomes and progress toward strategic plan goals, and adjust tactics to ensure Save The Bay’s maximum impact and effectiveness.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Bold and effective leader driven to seize initiative and make an impact for positive change; strategic, creative thinker, with proven ability to see the big picture, set priorities and get results.
- At least 10 years of demonstrated leadership developing and executing successful issue advocacy campaigns, direct lobbying for policy victories, and mobilizing partners to collective action.
- At least 5 years of successful program management and staff leadership; demonstrated ability supervising and motivating employees to set and accomplish ambitious objectives, establish and implement project budgets and targeted work plans.
- Teamwork and leadership skills for effective collaboration; proven track record of building strong alliances with public officials, community leaders, and other stakeholders.
- Superb political judgment, decisiveness, and enthusiasm for Save The Bay’s mission and policy goals; familiarity with Bay ecology and issues is beneficial.
- Excellent project-management and problem-solving skills; ability to manage multiple issue campaigns, objectives and staff simultaneously.
- Strong persuasive speaking and writing skills; attention to detail; computer proficiency with Windows, Salesforce and Internet research applications.
- Valid California driver’s license and favorable driving record; clean background check.
Save The Bay’s downtown Oakland offices feature an attractive work environment and excellent access to transit.
Save The Bay’s excellent employee benefits include insurance for medical, dental, vision and chiropractic services; 403(b) plan, paid vacation, paid holidays and sick time.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Save The Bay is an equal opportunity employer that strives to recruit and retain a diverse workforce.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line: Political Director - [your last name]. No phone calls, please.