HUMAN RESOURCES REPRESENTATIVE: TEMPORARY POSITION (LEAVES ADMINISTRATION)
- Job posted by Alliance College-Ready Public Schools
601 South Figueroa Street
ABOUT ALLIANCE COLLEGE-READY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools is the largest nonprofit charter school organization in Los Angeles, serving nearly 13,000 low-income scholars across 25 free public middle and high schools on 28 campuses. In our 14th school year, Alliance has a proven record of success: though our scholars come to Alliance on average four grade-levels behind in reading, 95% of Alliance graduates have been accepted to college—including 77% to a four-year university in 2017. We strive to truly change the life trajectories of our scholars and communities, with a goal of 75% of Alliance graduates completing a four-year college degree. We also value our people, illustrated by being in the top 10% of Gallup’s global Best Place to Work survey.
Join us at Alliance and you can expect to be part of an innovative organization made up of talented people from diverse backgrounds and experiences. We want strong collaborators, skilled communicators, and avid problem solvers who are comfortable in a culture of continuous learning and who are excited to implement fresh ideas and unique solutions in service of our scholars and families. Now is the time to join us and make long-lasting change across Los Angeles.
Alliance is seeking a temporary Human Resources (HR) Representative to assist specifically with the review and processing of leaves and worker’s compensation claims. This full-time role, available from July through October, aims to provide additional capacity for the HR team in the areas of greatest need.
- Interpret and administer leave requests in accordance with federal and state employment laws (FMLA, CFRA, ADA, USERRA, etc.), including coordinating the approval of all leave cases based on relevant medical information and hours worked.
- Coordinate and organize all medical information and ensure that HIPAA and Employee Privacy guidelines are closely monitored and effectively executed.
- Maintain personnel records in the Human Resource Information System (HRIS) and in paper format in accordance with federal and state law as well as industry standards.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records for all Alliance staff members in the HRIS.
- Process worker’s compensation claims when they arise, in accordance with applicable OSHA and workers’ compensation laws.
- Ensure all reportable workers’ compensation claims are submitted to Alliance’s workers’ compensation carrier in a timely manner.
- Provide extensive case management and coordinate administrative aspects of the cases and claims.
- Conduct/coordinate, as needed, investigations into all reported workers’ compensation claims.
Customer Service and Problem-Solving Approach
- Maintain appropriate contact with all staff members on leave and coordinate all aspects of the return to work from on leave process.
- Guide staff members and supervisors with policy interpretation, leave eligibility requirements, reasonable accommodation requests, and the return to work process.
- Provide “best in class” customer service, addressing staff members’ questions and issues while working toward a quick, appropriate, and courteous resolution.
- Produce and manage reporting metrics and analytics for all leave cases and workers’ compensation claims.
- Collaborate with other members of the HR team and other departments (e.g., Payroll) to ensure successful implementation of all HR initiatives.
- Work with third party administrators and insurance carriers or brokers.
Other responsibilities, as needed, may be assigned through the course of your employment.
THE STRONGEST CANDIDATES WILL HAVE/BE:
- Commitment to Alliance’s core beliefs and educational philosophy
- Knowledge of urban school environments and school culture
- Knowledge of relevant human resources procedures and policies, including knowledge of state and federal labor laws and employment provisions
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-layered organization and build strong relationships with teachers, coaches, school leaders and other home office and school-based colleagues
- Keen attention to detail with an ability and superior organizational skills, with an ability to effectively manage competing priorities
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Problem-solving mentality with perseverance to overcome obstacles with a positive attitude.
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office, human resource information systems (HRIS), and Google-based applications
- Entrepreneurial spirit to thrive in a fast-paced and achievement-oriented environment
- Willingness to go above and beyond to contribute to the success of a dynamic team committed to a new future for urban education
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in human resources, education, public administration or policy, or a related field, required.
- At least two (2) years experience working in the human resources field, with clear and demonstrated experience in administering and approving leaves and worker’s compensation claims.
- Prior experience working in a school system (charter management organization, charter school, school district, or university) preferred but not required.
Hourly rate: $24/hour, with the assumption of 40 hours per week. This is a temporary position available immediately and through October 2018. (Note: No benefits will be provided for the temporary position.)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter at www.laalliance.org/careers. Please note that only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools are free public charter schools which do not discriminate against any student, parent, community member, or employee on the basis of actual or perceived ancestry, age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics