We are a small team of dedicated nonprofit professionals who are accelerating the development of high performance, animal-free, and more sustainable materials for the fashion, automotive, and home goods industries. We are a fully remote team with employees and contractors across multiple states and countries. We are also a family friendly organization and offer flexible schedules and significant autonomy.
The organization is a little over a year old and looking for an experienced marketing and communications professional to oversee and grow our communications program. The organization currently has one employee in the Marketing Department and is looking for a leader who can grow with the organization. Our current hiring plan includes the addition of around 2 new marketing professionals per year until we are at a marketing team of 8.
Reporting to the CEO and serving as an integral member of the senior management team, the Chief Marketing Officer will be responsible for the development of MII’s communication strategy and will contribute to MII's organizational strategic planning process. The CMO will develop a world-class communications plan for MII, directly managing communications activities that promote and enhance MII’s mission and brand reputation. The CMO will be responsible for the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership. The CMO will be responsible for MII's varied and integrated communications products and services including: newsletters; print publications; website, social media, and other online communications; media and public relations; and marketing.
Communications Strategy, Vision, and Leadership
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance MII's brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences.
- Create marketing/public relations strategy that will allow MII leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with the leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Serve as communications counselor to MII leadership.
- Oversee development of all MII print communications including the annual report, marketing collateral materials and electronic communications including MII's website and new media; manage relationships with associated vendors.
- Serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization.
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations, and other supporting material as needed.
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding MII programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting, planning, and staff development.
- Recruit and manage a communications team to support the development and execution of the communications strategy.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments.
Who We’re Looking For
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or related field is required, an advanced degree is preferred.
- Minimum 5 years experience in a senior management role.
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top tier reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements.
- Extensive successful writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online communications media.
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization's mission and goals.
- Creativity and thoughtfulness with regard to leveraging new media technologies.
- A minimum of five years experience in planning, writing, editing, and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports, marketing literature, and other print publications and directories.
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output.
- Experience in building, mentoring, and coaching a team of communications specialists.
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs.
- Excellent and persuasive communicator.
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance, and administration initiatives.
- Passion for MII's mission.
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We strongly encourage people of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.
The Fine Print
- Terms of employment: Full-time, exempt
- Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
- Location: Remote; with a preference for the United States
- Benefits: Working from home, medical insurance stipend, flexible holiday and vacation plans, respectful managers, and supportive colleagues.
- Salary: nonprofit salary, commensurate with experience and geographically-dependent
Application Deadline: applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis but we are looking to have someone in this position asap.
Application Instructions: send cover letter and resume to email@example.com