Details: Commensurate with experience, plus excellent benefits.
330 Jay st
Do you have a strong work ethic and organizational skills? Are you flexible, patient, creative and great at following-through? Do you enjoy working in a team environment and have an ability to respond quickly to the changing needs of a growing program? If so, keep reading!
TGP is seeking a qualified Finance Associate to support the finance function in all its finance activities
The Vera Institute
The Vera Institute of Justice, founded in 1961, is an independent, non-partisan, nonprofit organization that combines expertise in research, technical assistance, and demonstration projects to assist leaders in government and civil society examine justice policy and practice, and improve the systems people rely on for justice and safety. Vera has offices in New York City, Washington, DC, Los Angeles, and New Orleans, and its projects and reform initiatives, typically conducted in partnership with local, state, or national officials, are located across the United States and around the world. Vera is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity in the workplace.
Who we are
The Guardianship Project (TGP), a Vera Institute of Justice demonstration project, provides model guardianship services to older adults and people with disabilities who have been adjudicated as incapacitated by a court and lack family or friends able or willing to care for them. The project serves a culturally diverse and primarily indigent population residing throughout New York City.
The project employs a team of professionals, including lawyers, social workers, and property and financial managers, who collaborate to provide effective services and advocacy to ensure clients’ well-being, safety, and the greatest degree of independence possible, within the least restrictive environment. Guardianship practice generally covers a wide range of issues, including but not limited to foreclosures, public benefits, landlord/tenant law, real estate management and transactions, estate planning, medical decision-making, financial exploitation, elder abuse, and crisis management. Project staff routinely addresses challenging and emotionally charged issues, such as end-of-life decision-making and protecting clients from physical and financial neglect and abuse.
What you’ll be working on
Reporting to and working with the Director of Finance you will create and monitor client budgets. As a member of the finance team you will collaborate closely with other TGP staff, financial and other institutions to deliver finance services to clients. As a finance associate you will be preparing a wide range of client financial reports including annual and final accountings for submission to the court, as well as preparing all necessary paperwork and follow-up tasks to marshal client funds in a timely manner. You will be in a position to support the development and management of finance internal controls, policies and procedures in order to promote and achieve best practices. In addition, you will have the opportunity to:
- Processing accounts receivable, including social security benefits, supplemental security income, pension and rental incomes; and full record-keeping thereof
- Processing accounts payable, including preparation of automatic payments, disbursements journals and related reports; and full record-keeping thereof
- Reconciling client accounts on a monthly basis
- Investigating client financial records to determine whether funds were misappropriated
- Supporting client tax planning, filing and negotiating with Taxing Authorities in collaboration with the Director of Finance
- Other duties as required to effectuate high quality finance service delivery to clients.
You have a college degree and at least 2 years of relevant experience, which includes knowledge of financial internal controls, with the ability to contribute to ongoing refinement of best practices in a developing program.
You are able to understand financial statements, financial investment products, and services with the ability and interest to conduct forensic accountings of financial records on behalf of potential victims of exploitation.
You are able to sort, filter, and manipulate data on Excel and use your sound judgement and excellent problem-solving ability and analytical skills, including ability to reconcile complex and conflicting reports.
In addition you have:
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Working knowledge of tax filings and auditing practices
- Strong multi-tasking skills, attention to detail and ability to perform well under pressure.
- Interest in social justice for underserved populations required, demonstrated interest and experience working with older adults and people with disabilities is a plus
Vera is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, current employment status, or caregiver status.
Vera works to advance justice, particularly racial justice, in an increasingly multicultural country and globally connected world. We value diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background and justice system contact, and depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
For more information about Vera and TGP’s work, please visit www.vera.org.
TGP offers an attractive compensation package commensurate with the successful candidate’s skills and experience. Please indicate current salary details along with expectations in cover letter.
Vera works to advance justice in an increasingly multicultural country and globally connected world. We welcome diversity in all its forms in our staff, including race, gender identity or expression, educational attainment, disability, veteran status, and personal experience with the criminal justice system.
We want to be an employer of choice in our field, and supporting Vera staff—both personally and professionally—is a priority. To do this, we provide:
- Regular reviews of our salary structure to ensure that we are at or above market rate
- Training and learning opportunities with leaders in our field
- Eight weeks paid family leave and other generous time off benefits
- Comprehensive insurance coverage, including medical and dental, life and accidental death, and disability
- A retirement savings plan, including employer contributions and the opportunity for your own tax-advantaged savings
- Tuition reimbursement and publication incentives
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter including salary requirements. Only candidates with the above credentials will be considered. Online submission in PDF format is preferred.
However, if necessary, materials may be mailed or faxed to
ATTN: Human Resources / TGP Finance Associate
Vera Institute of Justice
233 Broadway, 12th Floor
New York, NY 10279
Fax: (212) 941-9407
Please use only one method (online, mail or fax) of submission.
No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.