Details: Sliding Scale Based On Americorps Pay Grade
325 Lafayette Street
Green Village Initiative (GVI) is a non-profit organization in Bridgeport, CT whose mission is to grow food, knowledge, leadership and community through urban gardening and farming, to create a more just food system in Bridgeport. Our team and our network of growers are cultivating food justice leaders and beautifying the city. Together, we are building a model that addresses hunger, promotes good nutrition and catalyzes local economies.
Youth Leadership Program VISTA Responsibilities
GVI’s AmeriCorps Youth VISTA Service position is a 1-Year position that involves indoor and outdoor work. It requires an interest in becoming part of a passionate team dedicated to the GVI mission and to Bridgeport. GVI’s Youth Leadership VISTA will develop a set of strategies that will lead to a strengthened Youth Leadership Program. These strategies will bolster the impact for our young people and their community, facilitate long-term growth, and improve the program’s curriculum and offerings over the long-term. The GVI Youth VISTA will work towards three main objectives:
Strengthen GVI’s support to young Bridgeport gardeners through our network of 23 School Gardens
- Coordinate and participate in fall and spring Field Trips, leading young gardeners through educational stations
- Analyze current resources (such as crop plans) distributed to school gardens, for areas of improvement
- Improve on GVI’s School Garden Resources and Resource Disbursement process
- Provide network of 23 School Gardens with resources needed for successful gardens in Fall and Spring semesters
Create and support implementation of strengthened 2018 Youth Leadership Program, focusing on academic year youth engagement and summer program curriculum
- Analyze 2018 youth program data collection and analysis
- Develop goals for program improvement through qualitative and quantitative data analysis
- Identify areas of improvement for FLAG (Food Leaders Advisory Group) meetings and Summer Youth Leadership Program recruitment
- Recruit applicants for Summer Youth Leadership Program, following 2018 timeline and procedure and incorporating needed improvements in recruitment process as identified.
- Hone processes for youth training, youth development opportunities, youth outreach and engagement and ensure youth alums have input into process development
- Develop and help in deploying improved summer and academic year program curriculum
Increase pipeline of youth and families interested in GVI programming through community outreach to community partners, NRZ’s, and other youth groups.
- Develop and deploy weekly communications with youth
- Aid in planning and convening monthly Food Leader Advisory Group sessions
- Take part in CT Youth Food Program Alliance on the part of GVI
- Aid in team efforts to engage community at major annual events: Harvest Fest, GVI’s Fall
- Fundraiser, GVI’s Tree Lighting and regular volunteer activities
- Represent GVI at partner events and community meetings, to promote Youth Leadership Program, FoodCorps program and other opportunities as needed.
Necessary Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate will possess:
· A passion for community gardening, agriculture, or food justice, and youth leadership
· Effective communication skills
· Proficiency in Google Suite and Microsoft Office
· Excitement to work in a fast-paced organization and a desire to learn more about gardening, farming and non-profit operations
· Ability to work with little oversight and to seek direction when needed
· Ability to perform physical at garden work (e.g. bending, kneeling) including in extreme heat
· A strong work ethic and punctuality
· Access to reliable transportation to and from garden sites
· A commitment to GVI’s mission, and a sense of responsibility to the Bridgeport community
Go to the Americorps’ website here and fill out the application: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=74177&fromSearch=true
Check out GVI’s website for more information about us. www.gogvi.org
Level of Language Proficiency
English. Spanish is a bonus!
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply at the above included link.