The Fines and Fees Justice Center is hiring a Research and Campaign Associate to (1) identify, collect, and summarize content for FFJC’s online Clearinghouse and (2) assist the New York State Director with research and advocacy. This position is full-time and based in New York City.
The Fines & Fees Justice Center (FFJC) is a national center for advocacy, policy, research, and collaboration on effective solutions to the unjust and harmful imposition and enforcement of fines and fees in the justice system. FFJC’s mission is to create an equitably funded justice system that treats individuals fairly and ensures public safety. Led by two nationally-recognized experts, FFJC works with justice system stakeholders and affected communities to end abusive collection practices, eliminate fees in the justice system, and make fines proportional to the offense and the individual.
The Research and Campaigns Associate will assist the Policy and Communications Associate in identifying, collecting and summarizing content for FFJC’s online Clearinghouse. The Clearinghouse will include research, litigation, pilot projects, legislative and court reforms, media and personal narratives related to fines and fees in the justice system. The Research and Campaign associate will also help translate that material into user-friendly guidance for policymakers, advocates and community organizations.
In addition, the Research and Campaigns Associate will work with the New York State Director, helping to: (i) build relationships and coalitions with advocates, activists, grassroots organizations and impacted community members; (ii) conduct needed research; and, (iii) execute reform campaigns in the state for inclusion in the Clearinghouse.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Work with the Policy and Communications Associate to collect, curate and summarize research, legislation, litigation, pilot projects, and media into digestible material for the Clearinghouse
- Track media related to fines and fees on a daily basis
- Identify, interview, and draft statements from impacted individuals
- Work both independently and in collaboration with FFJC staff to help prepare toolkits, talking points, presentations, and the FFJC newsletter
- Contribute to the development of public education materials, research, reports, policy documents, social media content, fact sheets, e-mails, and other advocacy materials
- Work with FFJC staff to support the New York campaign to achieve comprehensive fines and fees reform. Work may include research, petition and letter-writing, organizing press conferences, drafting emails, social networking, and grassroots advocacy
- Develop and manage relationships with key reform advocates around the country (in community organizations, government, academia, and elsewhere) to strengthen FFJC’s reform coalitions and to ensure the seamless collection of Clearinghouse materials
What we need in a Research and Campaign Associate
- An undergraduate degree or at least 2 years of experience with one or more of the following: public policy research or analysis, and/or issue advocacy campaigns
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office programs
- Hungry for racial and economic justice and passionate about criminal justice reform
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, plus a knack for diplomacy and tact
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Organized, diligent, proactive, and detail oriented
- Willing to travel occasionally
- Flexible and adaptable
- Sense of humor
What will strengthen your application
- Experience with criminal justice reform
- Experience and comfort with public policy and social science research and analysis
- Experience with issue advocacy
- Experience working with marginalized communities in building movements for social change
- Experience building coalitions and successfully managing relationships with a variety of partner organizations
- People who have been personally impacted by the justice system are encouraged to apply
New Venture Fund Careers
Fines & Fees Justice Center is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant- making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
Generous vacation and leave policy and health, dental, vision insurance and transportation benefits.
Level of Language Proficiency
English required, Spanish proficiency a plus
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit a resume and cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position to:
Joanna Weiss Co-Director, Fines and Fees Justice Center
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Start date is flexible, although an early September start date is preferred.