350 5th Avenue
Based in New York or San Francisco *Remote employees will be considered.
The Human Rights Foundation (HRF) is seeking highly-qualified applicants for the position of Development Associate.
Overview of the Human Rights Foundation
HRF is a nonpartisan nonprofit organization that promotes and protects human rights globally, with a focus on closed societies. Our work includes effective campaigns to free political prisoners, world-class events such as the Oslo Freedom Forum, and programs such as Flash Drives for Freedom that publicize human rights violators and directly support dissidents and human rights defenders at risk.
Overview of the position
The Development Associate will support the fundraising efforts of the strategy team by assisting with caseload management, research, and communications efforts. This position reports to the Chief Strategy Officer.
- Conduct new donor research; pursue new leads and known opportunities to both expand the prospect pipeline and convert existing prospective accounts to members
- Draft letters of interest, grant proposals, and grant reports
- Work with the strategy team to carry out the donor thank you and gift acknowledgement process
- Help track relationships with sponsors and foundation supporters; manage relationships with donors, including at events
- Maintain a calendar of development action items, correspondence, and due dates
- Assist with special projects which include planning and coordinating member engagement opportunities, contributing to donor stewardship plans, and organizing events
- Support team members by organizing meetings; handle follow-up requests and database inquiries
- Oversee direct mailing process
- Handle administrative tasks including expense reports, accounts payable items, timekeeping, correspondence, scheduling, and travel arrangements
- Collaborate with a number of teams across HRF
- An understanding of and affinity for HRF’s mission
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred
- 2-4 years of relevant experience is preferred
- Computer proficiency required, including G Suite and MS Office (particularly Excel); database experience preferred (Salesforce)
- Self-motivated team player with a high sense of urgency and ability to handle multiple projects at once
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to handle sensitive/confidential information and be discreet
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; possess a friendly, professional demeanor, and positive phone presence
HRF offers a competitive salary and benefits package including fully covered medical, dental, vision, and life insurance.
Minimum Education Required