Food Bank Operations Manager
Details: $18 - $20 an hour
232 Warren Ave N.
Queen Anne Food Bank, a Ministry of Sacred Heart of Jesus, envisions a community where no one goes hungry and our neighbors have equitable access to enough healthy and wholesome food to meet their needs. We provide food assistance to low-income and homeless people in Seattle and we are one of three organizations in Seattle that has both a meal program and a food bank. Queen Anne Food Bank serves every person who comes to our door with respect and dignity and without discrimination. For more information, visit our website at www.qafb.org.
· Meal Program - A sack lunch and hot soup are served between 8:30 AM and 11:30 AM Mondays through Thursdays
· Pack Program - The Pack Program is an extension to our Mon-Thurs meal program and supplements customers' food needs for the weekend with additional "no-cook" foods in their lunch sack as well as homemade soup. Offered Fridays from 9AM - 11AM.
· Grocery Program - Open Thursdays from 2 PM - 4 PM
· Home Delivery - Wednesdays
· Farm Fresh Fridays - Seasonal farmers' market offering fresh produce rescued from the Queen Anne Farmer's Market. Offered Fridays from 11 AM - 12:30 PM between June and October.
Queen Anne Food Bank is hiring an Operations Manager to lead and coordinate all food programs, manage the work of volunteers and oversee daily operations. The Operations Manager works closely with the Director to ensure all food and ingredients utilized in the preparation of the meals is fresh and of the highest quality and will supervise volunteers in the preparation of each day’s meals. Additionally, the Operations Manager rotates food stock and ensures the pantry and kitchens are organized and operating efficiently. The Operations Manager will play an integral role in the planning and coordination of multiple food drives and will assist with the planning and execution of other community events as well. This is a full-time position Monday through Friday, with each day’s shift beginning between 6:30 AM and 8:00 AM, depending on the day of the week. The position is benefits eligible, following the policies of the Archdiocese of Seattle. Start date is September 4, 2018.
We encourage people of all educational backgrounds and life experiences to apply. The Operations Assistant will work with a diverse population and must be sensitive to the culture, religion, language, age, gender and sexual orientation of the population served.
· Supervise and be the support point person for all volunteers;
· Manage food bank inventory and ordering;
· Plan menus for meal program and prepare ingredients in absence of regularly scheduled volunteers;
· Oversee sorting and preparation of collected food and ensure compliance with current safe food handling regulations; rotate food to make certain it is being distributed in a timely manner;
· Ensure that equipment and facilities are clean, organized, available, and in good working order for volunteers;
· Ensure food bank distribution room is ready in time for Thursday distribution;
· Record all required data into appropriate databases and submit weekly, monthly and annual reports to all 3rd party partners thus ensuring compliance with Food Lifeline Member Agency Agreement
· Be responsive to and aware of client needs and behavior during all program distribution times;
· Solve problems presented during food distribution for all programs;
· Lift and carry loads that exceed physical capabilities of volunteers;
· Provide back up for grocery rescue drivers as needed;
· Attend scheduled staff meetings and trainings.
· Lead a life consistent with the Catholic faith and Catholic moral teaching
· Be passionate about the mission of Queen Anne Food Bank
· Experience with or strong interest in food outreach and/or food justice is desired
· Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills
· Prior food and kitchen experience and working knowledge of food safety and handling techniques
· Background in social services, mental health or previous work with homeless populations desired but not necessary
· Previous experience working in a small non-profit desirable
· Ability to engage customers and volunteers from all walks of life in respectful conversation
· De-escalation skills
· Can-do attitude; willing to pitch in and do what it takes to get things done
· Exemplary organizational skills and results oriented
· Able to work well independently and as part of a team
· Valid Washington state driver’s license
· Must be able to pass a background check
· Participation in the Archdiocese of Seattle Safe Environment Called to Protect Program within 90 days of start
· Must obtain a Washington food handler’s card within 1 week of starting position
Physical requirements of this position:
· Moderate to heavy lifting (up to 50 lbs. multiple times per day up and down short staircase)
· Climb Stairs
· Push or Pull
· Reach Above Shoulder
· Queen Anne Food Bank Director
· Pastor of Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish
Please email a short cover letter, resume and three references
The position is benefits eligible, following the policies of the Archdiocese of Seattle.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you are passionate about addressing hunger in our community, please send attach the following in your email:
- List of 3 references
- Cover letter explaining why you are interested in this role and what strengths you would bring to the position and the organization