TSNE (formerly Third Sector New England) (tsne.org) is a management support organization that partners every year with hundreds of nonprofits, foundations, community-based groups, and others working for social change. Our mission is to provide information and services to build the knowledge, power, and effectiveness of individuals, organizations, and groups that engage people in community and public life. The ultimate intention of our work is to create a more just and democratic society.
We assist a wide range of organizations in the social sector with a mix of management support and capacity building services in consulting, financial and grants management, business administration, human resources, compensation and benefits administration, professional development training and research in nonprofit fields of practice.
As a leading voice and capacity builder in the nonprofit sector, TSNE is committed to learning and building our practices and values around diversity, inclusion and equity, and working in a culturally proficient way with our staff and the organizations and communities we serve. We actively cultivate a work environment that values the experiences of individuals in an open-minded and collaborative atmosphere.
ResponsibilitiesThis position is a member of the Accounting team that share responsibility for the receivable and payable functions in a dynamic, fast-paced team-based environment supporting a portfolio of Fiscally Sponsored Organizations (FSOs). The Accounting team is responsible for all accounting functions, handling related administrative tasks, and responding client inquiries. Our Accountants need to be flexible and skilled at multi-tasking to be successful with the varied and changing demands of the work and client needs. The Accountant is responsible for proactively researching and resolving accounting inconsistencies.
- Prepare invoices for review by project manager;
- Create new Customers in Salesforce;
- Submit invoices to customers for payment;
- Post invoices in accounting system according to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) for non-profit organizations;
- Record cash receipts received on behalf of projects;
- Maintain reconciliation systems to ensure invoices are submitted in a timely fashion and coded correctly in the Accounting system;
- Contact customers about outstanding receivable balances;
- Work with Accounting Manager to write off bad debt;
- Prepare journal entries related to AR transactions.
Accounts Payable Invoicing
- Audit invoice submissions;
- Coordinate with Contracts department for contract amendments or issues;
- Review contracts and process contract execution payments;
- Manually enter payment request to Concur on behalf of limited project as needed;
- Manually enter emergency payment requests;
- Monitor accounts to ensure timely payments;
- Respond to issues related to invoices & payments;
- Send reminder to projects for un-submitted invoices;
- Create new vendors including banking information for ACH payments as needed;
- Provide Concur Invoice training and assist with Concur Invoice related issues;
- Assist FSO's and GFM's, GFA's with disbursement inquiries;
- Process monthly stipend payments via upload as needed;
- Prepare journal entries related to AP transactions
- Prepare credit memos as needed
Department Resource and Support
- Provide support for the second FS Accountant in their assigned FSO Team
- Act as departmental resource on AR and AP processes
- Act as departmental resource on grants/contracts process;
- Provide operational support to accounting staff on processes, systems, and software.
- Provide back up for all accounting functions;
- Ability to proactively research and resolve accounting inconsistencies;
- Participate in annual audits – prepare and review schedules, pull documentation, etc.;
- Provide direct project services as needed;
- Stay abreast of changes in GAAP and other regulatory requirements including Federal Cost Allowability (Cost Principles).
Complete other tasks and projects related to the job, as needed.Qualifications
We will consider exceptional candidates who demonstrate a strong combination of the specific qualifications and skills described below.
- Minimum of three years' experience performing accounts payable, accounts receivable and billing functions;
- BA/BS degree in accounting or business or equivalent experience required;
- Nonprofit accounting, federal fund, and Concur experience desired;
- Strong analytical, research and troubleshooting skills;
- Experience with performing accounts receivable and billing functions;
- Proficiency using accounting software and spreadsheets;
- Ability to pay close and accurate attention to details;
- Ability to adhere to standard and organizational accounting protocols;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and priorities;
- Strong communication skills;
- Commitment to the work of social and economic justice organizations;
- Ability to work effectively with people of different cultural backgrounds.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those for this position. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. Work is performed in an office environment and in close proximity to other workers.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to:
- Handle, or feel objects, tools or controls;
- Reach; traverse; sit (usually for longer periods of time); occasionally ascend/descend; and position self (to) move;
- Occasionally lift and/or move materials or equipment;
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate;
- Job is not subject to significant occupational or environmental hazards;
- Likelihood of personal injury would be relatively slight;
- Environmental and work hazards are not present to a measurable degree.
Compensation and Benefits
Location: Work will be primarily performed between our main office (89 South St. Boston, MA 02111) and remotely from your home.
Compensation: The starting salary for this position is $60,000.00 and is commensurate with experience.
Benefits: This position is eligible for a full benefits package including:
- Generous Paid-Time-Off (PTO): 12 paid holidays, 3 weeks vacation, 1 week personal holiday, and sick time for full-time staff;
- 80% Employer-paid, $0 deductible Health Insurance through Harvard Pilgrim;
- Low-cost MetLife Dental and Vision;
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) for Health and Dependent Care;
- Employer-paid Life, Long- and Short-Term Disability Insurance;
- Employer-paid Pension through TIAA;
- ...and more!
TSNE envisions a society grounded in the principles of social and economic justice. As such, we strive to achieve excellence through a diverse and inclusive workplace that honors the unique talents and lived experiences of each person. Our vision and values are reflected in all our employment-related decisions, including hiring practices. Accordingly, TSNE actively seeks people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in our work.
As an EOE/AA employer, TSNE will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, genetic information, veteran or disability status or any other factor prohibited by law.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/g2NgxkhVlNeYIkznfl4Zr" />