District of Columbia
Reports to: Managing Director of Communications
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Full-time; Exempt
Launched in 2016, The Hub is a nonprofit effort made up of a growing team of communications, research, and organizing experts who have extensive experience in campaign strategy, digital, and polling and analytics. We believe in a country where everyone has the opportunity to succeed in our economy and participate in our democracy, and we make that vision a reality by partnering with advocacy groups – bringing surge capacity and coordination to build innovative and effective campaigns.
The Hub Project is about to launch and incubate a new, ongoing undertaking that will focus on advancing a coherent economic worldview within the broader progressive movement. This project, tentatively titled the “Groundwork Collaborative,” will work with partners from across the movement to weave a through line among efforts and policy ideas that too often seem disparate.
The Associate Director of Communications will be the communications leader for this project, and will develop and execute the project’s overall communications strategy. This person will promote the work and thought leadership of leading progressives on the economy, will work to develop and test messaging to help develop the progressive narrative on the economy. They will work within the new Groundwork team on new communications outreach and products, and will work to distribute those through social media, earned media, partner and allied organizations when needed.
As Associate Director for Communications you will…
- Work creatively to create a new branded campaign in Groundwork, using communications to help create a through line narrative on the economy.
- Create and execute an overall communications plan for the project.
- Draft press materials, op eds, and other key elements for successful press strategy.
- Manage junior staff. Perform other duties as assigned.
- You have a bachelor’s degree or higher.
- You have experience creating and executing a communications plan.
- You’re familiar with the progressive economic policymaking community.
- You are an excellent writer.
- You have a nose for news and an interest in progressive messaging on the economy.
- You’re a pro at multi-tasking and working under tight deadlines in a dynamic environment.
- You’re committed to a just, inclusive, and robust economy that delivers opportunity and dignity to all Americans.
- Experience with releasing research and policy materials and getting earned media. Social media rapid response and relationships with reporters are a plus.
- A sense of humor, adventurous spirit, and an openness to evolving responsibilities.
How to Apply
To begin the application process, click here. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from The Hub. Thank you for your interest.
New Venture Fund Careers
The Hub is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The New Venture Fund’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
Minimum Education Required