1415 NE 43rd Street
ROOTS Young Adult Shelter Position Announcement
JOB TITLE: ROOTS Morning Volunteer Mentor
REPORTS TO: ROOTS Volunteer Services Manager
MISSION AND PROGRAMS:
ROOTS Young Adult Shelter is the states largest emergency shelter for young adults experiencing homelessness. Each night we serve 45 young adults, ages 18-25, by providing a safe place to sleep, warm meals and other essential services. The shelter operates 365 days a year with a heavy reliance on volunteers.
Responsibilities: The Morning Volunteer Mentor is responsible for training and coaching ROOTS Young Adult Shelter volunteers, in conjunction with the Volunteer Services Manager, Overnight Counselor and Overnight Supervisors. These duties will be conducted in accordance with the ROOTS Vision and Mission, agency policies and procedures, as well as relevant federal, state and local standards, guidelines and regulations.
Compensation: This is an hourly position with an hourly rate of $15.75/hour.
Hours: This position will work 3-4 mornings per week, from approximately 6:15am-9:15am, for a total of 10-12 hours per week. Exact mornings TBD with input from the applicant.
Authority: The Morning Volunteer Mentor mentors all ROOTS volunteer positions, except that of the Overnight Supervisor. This includes support, training, evaluation and development of these team members in concert with the Overnight Counselors and Supervisors on staff.
Accountability: The Morning Volunteer Mentor is accountable to the Volunteer Services Manager to support operational performance of the Shelter Program in support of the ROOTS Vision and Mission.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Supervise teams of 3-5 volunteers per shift
● Train volunteers to perform shelter tasks and assign tasks
● Coordinate with and train breakfast volunteers to ensure that they have enough support and supplies to prepare meal for 45 guests
● Check in with each volunteer during each shift to provide volunteers with individualized logistical and emotional support
● Ensure guests leave shelter on-time at 8AM and that shelter clean-up is completed by 8:30AM
● Lead debrief meetings at the end of each shift
● Review rules and expectations for both guests and volunteers
● Assist with conflict de-escalation and rule enforcement as needed
● Coach volunteers on conflict de-escalation strategies and techniques, as well as rule enforcement
● Track and monitor volunteer schedule for assigned morning(s) in shelter to ensure sufficient coverage; adjust the schedule when volunteers call out and work with Volunteer Services Manager to find additional coverage for shifts that are short staffed
● Complete service learning evaluations and letters of recommendation for volunteers, as needed
● Other duties as assigned and/or necessary
● Experience working with young adults or homeless and under-served groups, including demonstrated ability to positively engage with people in need
● Good interpersonal and facilitation skills; demonstrated ability to train and coach quality volunteers
● Ability to maintain a regular schedule and proactively communicate with colleagues and supervisor in advance about changes to that schedule
● Reliable, punctual and prompt with communication; ability to communicate to a wide variety of people with ease
● Ability to work under pressure and manage competing demands in a hectic environment
● Solid understanding of issues related to poverty, racism, and homelessness and capacity to advocate and build programs that counteract the oppression of those we serve
● Current or former ROOTS shelter volunteer preferred
AGENCY EXPECTATIONS OF EMPLOYEE:
● Demonstrate understanding of and dedication to ROOTS vision and mission
● Adhere to ROOTS Policies and Procedures, represent and promote organizational values
● Perform duties as workload necessitates while demonstrating flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload
● Maintain a positive and respectful attitude and strive to create a compassionate but safe and consistent environment in the shelter
● Communicate proactively with the Volunteer Services Manager; invest in team approach in working with staff and volunteers
Open until filled; Preference given to candidates who apply by Monday, 11/12/18
Email resume and cover letter to:
ROOTS Volunteer Manager
ROOTS is an equal opportunity employer. LGBTQ, persons of color, and bilingual candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required