The purpose of HAWC is to create social change by taking action against personal and societal patterns of violence and oppression. HAWC provides services and support to victims of domestic violence residing in 23 cities and towns on Massachusetts’ North Shore in order that they may make informed, independent decisions about their futures.
Position Title: Relief Staff
Department: Shelter Team
Reports To: Program Director
This 20-30 hour position provides support and services to families and individuals living in a domestic violence shelter. Position ensures the safety of the residents. Informal activities with residents are part of this position. Position also ensures that rooms are ready for new families/individuals that come to the shelter. Weekend and holiday hours. Available shifts Saturdays and Sundays 8a- 2p, 2p-8p and holidays.
Experience working with victims and survivors of domestic abuse.
Provide solutions during crisis.
Active listening skill
Good organizational skills
· Ensure safety and consistency of house operations including all aspects of the shelter.
· Report, log and problem solve any safety or maintenance concerns as well as client updates and keep a log of it.
· Sensitivity to domestic violence issues, commitment to empowering and ending domestic violence.
· Prepare, clean and inspect rooms for next family before entry and after exit.
· Coordinate donations. Maintain cleanliness and organized all donation areas.
· Maintain cleanliness and organized office area, office fridge, staff bathroom and conference room.
· Complete shift rounds on each floor for safety. Inspect that no cleaning supplies are left out.
· Maintain upkeep logs and program files.
· Conduct intake/screening for possible program participants during shift as needed as well as completing required program paperwork with program participants.
· Provide support/ direct service to participants as needed during shift.
· Work as a team member with other shelter staff.
· Maintain clear professional boundaries with shelter staff and clients.
· Attend regular supervision and team meetings.
· Participate in hotline coverage while on shift.
· Data entry in data system of any case management and hotline calls.
· Complete bed updates as required.
· Puts into practice workplace and team values.
· Participate in 27 hour HAWC training and any additional trainings required.
HAWC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This shelter program does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender or gender identity, familial status, disability, ancestry, age, marital status, public assistance status; with any questions, regarding 504 compliance, please contact the Director of Operations.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual preferred - Spanish, English, Portuguese
Minimum Education Required