Details: Compensation is commensurate with experience.
District of Columbia
The Action Center on Race and the Economy (ACRE) drives campaigns that seek to win structural change by directly taking on the financial elite responsible for pillaging communities of color and working class communities and harming our environment. Through partnerships with organizations involved in local racial, economic, environmental and educational justice campaigns, we provide strategic campaign coordination and campaign infrastructure with an explicit racial justice analysis.
The Communications Director will report to the Co-Directors and will work closely with ACRE staff and with partner organizations.
• Coordinate an organizational communications plan
• Coordinate press outreach for ACRE campaigns, including building relationships with national and local news reporters and editorial boards
• Write draft press releases, op-eds, letters to the editor and other outreach content
• Develop narratives for public campaigns
• Help develop messaging for public-facing materials
• Collaborate with campaign and research staff to turn research materials like reports into digestible content
• Help train and lift up spokespeople for ACRE campaigns.
• Work with local partners to effectively boost their campaigns’ public reach
• A strong commitment to progressive social change and racial justice, a familiarity with the issues that are central to ACRE’s work and a passion for ACRE’s vision and mission
• Extensive experience pitching stories to local and national press outlets
• Strong critical thinking skills
• Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments
• Demonstrated commitment to community and/or labor organizing and experience working with women and communities of color for social change
• Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, with light supervision
• Proficiency in Google and Microsoft Office programs, as well as online social media tools
• Willingness to work long and irregular hours and travel as needed
• A good sense of humor
LGBTQ, women and people of color strongly encouraged to apply.
Position includes excellent benefits.
Minimum Education Required