557 McReynolds Rd
The Bay Area Discovery Museum seeks an enthusiastic, positive, and friendly Front Desk Assistant to welcome our guests and assist with their entry into the Museum. If you have customer service experience -- such as in a retail, restaurant, or museum setting -- and believe in our mission to inspire creative problem solving for all children, then we invite you to apply!
The Front Desk Assistant will maintain the Bay Area Discovery Museum's Customer Service Standards by greeting customers, ringing admission sales, promoting Museum memberships, and sharing information about programs. He or she will also direct and assist Museum visitors with general questions. This position will also aid administrative and special event projects across departments of the museum.
This is a part-time non-exempt position reporting to the Assistant Manager of Membership and Admission. All schedules will include some weekend work.
- Uphold and enact the Museum’s established Customer Service Standards; engage customers in a friendly and helpful tone.
- Display a professional demeanor and resolve guest issues calmly while working in a hectic and vibrant environment; report areas of ongoing concern to Assistant Manager of Membership and Admission.
- Perform cashier duties and Front Desk opening and closing procedures while ensuring the proper handling of cash and sales receipts; accurately count tills and make change, apply membership and other discounts, accurately report any cash overages or shortages, and turn in required closing paperwork to the Accounting department.
- Promote and sell Museum memberships and programs.
- Book, greet and provide customer support regarding do-it-yourself group visits.
- Answer visitor and member inquiries via telephone.
- Maintain clean and tidy Front Desk, including guest queues, ticketing areas, and related spaces, to provide a safe and inviting atmosphere in the entry area.
- Manage organization of lost and found items.
- Assist with administrative tasks including, but not limited to inputting daily membership sales, fulfilling memberships, and restocking supplies.
- Participate in procedures to respond to emergencies.
- A minimum of 1 year visitor services experience required, preferably in the hospitality/retail industry or an attendance-based environment.
- Proficient experience with point of sale or ticketing systems preferred, experience with Altru a plus.
- Cash handling experience; ability to count cash and change quickly and accurately ensuring the Front Desk is ready to open at 9:00 AM.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; positive, energetic, and friendly demeanor.
- Ability to positively accept direction and complete tasks as assigned.
- Reliability and a self-starter attitude; initiative to seek out work during slow business times.
- Ability to attend to details and work with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to prioritize and efficiently complete varied tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently, collaboratively as part of a team, and cooperatively with other museum departments to ensure an integrated guest experience.
- Ability to maintain focus and professional demeanor while serving large numbers of visitors.
- Basic computer literacy.
- Ability to adhere to work schedule and to work weekdays, weekends, holidays and occasional evenings as necessary.
- English proficiency required; bilingual skills an asset (Spanish or Cantonese preferred).
The Bay Area Discovery Museum offers a high-energy, results-oriented, creative and fun environment where all staff members contribute to creating an innovative environment that helps us achieve our mission. BADM provides 100% employer-paid medical, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurance to all full-time employees, as well as generous paid time off starting at 4 weeks per year. In addition, we offer the knowledge that your skills impact over 300,000 museum visitors each year onsite and many more in the community through BADM’s Center for Childhood Creativity.
The Bay Area Discovery Museum is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.
Level of Language Proficiency
English proficiency required; bilingual skills an asset (Spanish or Cantonese preferred).
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified candidates should apply online at:
Please be prepared to provide both a resume and cover letter, which will be requested in two different steps of the application process.
NOTE TO CANDIDATE
Due to the sensitivity and requirements of our positions, you should expect to undergo and be cleared of an employment background/criminal check, if extended an offer for employment. You may also be asked to provide proof of educational degree(s), licenses or credentials pertinent to the position.