Role & Responsibilities
The advisor is expected to seek to increase the portfolio of shelter and infrastructure projects, according to the needs. This position will develop and strengthen the ERT S/NFI and CVA strategy for Medair South Sudan and work closely with the ERT S/NFI team to develop policies and procedures for CVA based on Medair’s global policies that fit the context of South Sudan. The role also includes coordinating and networking at a senior level with national authorities and other NGOs, contributing to the overall management of the country programme, training and coaching Medair technical staff as well as briefing project coordinators on basic technical information (e.g, selection criteria and donor requirements, DRR, state of existing infrastructure, need for intervention, etc). The Infrastructure Advisor will also be responsible for managing the innovation project entitled: Efficient Digital Design for Resilient Robust Shelter, which includes coordination with local researchers (i.e., University of Juba). The project is a partnership with the EPFL.
The Infrastructure and Shelter and Non-Food Items & CVA (Cash & Voucher Assistance) Advisor will develop and strengthen Medair’s infrastructure construction strategy, policy and field activities, offering strategic and technical advice to the South Sudan’s team, including the CD, DCDs, project coordinators, and personnel involved in the design, construction and maintenance of infrastructure.
Workplace & Working Conditions
Field based position in Juba, South Sudan with regular travel to field sites. Working and living conditions may be very basic and require great resilience.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
October 2021. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Infrastructure: Project Identification, planning and execution
- Work with the Medair SDS country office and GSO advisers to define, refine, and document Medair program strategies and infrastructure-related SOPs. Support the Country Director in the technical aspects of the development and production of new concepts and proposals and proactively plan for the responsible exit of the interested parties.
- Contribute to the drafting of proposals & reports that include infrastructure, with the specifications of the sectors.
- Review / preparation of technical and design documents, including drawings, technical specifications and lists of quantities for planned infrastructure interventions. Serve as a liaison and promote on behalf of the Medair programme strategy with stakeholders related to shelter and infrastructure.
- Maintain an overview of the overall implementation of designated projects (Components / Sectors), providing accurate feedback regarding everything related to infrastructure to ensure that preventive and corrective actions are taken.
- Contribute to the budget of the programme coordinating with the PCs to plan and budget Infrastructure.
- Provide technical support to Medair technical staff involved with Infrastructure at all locations to ensure accurate, quality, impact-driven implementation and active problem resolution.
- Periodically evaluate and provide recommendations to field technical staff, PCs on the quality of Infrastructure programmes and interventions during field visits and at other times.
- Coordinate and provide technical support to Medair technical staff to ensure that all designs and technical documents are accurate and for sector, Medair’s national, and meet Medair’s quality and cost specifications.
- Participate in procurement procedures and assist in the identification of contractors and suppliers by providing technical evaluation support. Review and customize technical training material relevant to the programme.
- Provide assistanceto PCs to ensure that sector personnel receive adequate and appropriate training by providing mentoring and training and by promoting technical staff capacity development.
- Carry out periodic follow-up visits together with the technical field staff, ensuring that the project objectives are met within the established deadlines and in accordance with recognized standards. Promote Medair’s environmental and DRR policies (e.g. the green office tool) and act as focal point for this within the South Sudan programme.
S/NFI and CVA
- Work with the Medair SDS country office and GSO advisors to define, refine, and document Medair programme strategies and SOPs for CVA interventions in South Sudan.
- Provide technical advice and support to ERT, on issues related to S/NFI distributions and CVA interventions.
- Define Medair guidelines, policies and procedures, in line with donor requirements, in consultation with GSO advisers for CVA interventions. Contribute to proposals and reports for projects that include S/NFI and CVA interventions.
- Ensure that S/NFI and CVA projects are implemented in accordance with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donors, national and international standards.
- Carry out periodic follow-up visits together with the technical field staff, ensuring that the project objectives are met within the established deadlines and in accordance with recognized standards.
Communication and Coordination
- Liaise and coordinate with GSO and regional sector specialists and feedback to the Country Office Team
- Actively support problem-solving on technical issues across all bases.
- Liaise and coordinate closely with relevant ministries and other authorities, and advocacy for Medair’s programme.
- Accompany donors on field trips to give technical input as requested infrastructure-related humanitarian aid issues and actively participate. Coordinate with OCHA, sectors, and other partners and coordinating bodies.
Reporting and Management
- Active role in the technical drafting and review of proposals and reports in consultation with the relevant Medair GSO sector advisor. Provide technical input in the recruitment and professional development of technical staff.
- Support relevant field managers and GSO staff in planning, constructing and monitoring Infrastructure budgets.
- Provide technical oversight of the Infrastructure team at all locations.
- Employ Information Management technologies to increase efficiency.
- Work within Medair’s security protocol and contribute to security measures where necessary, including being active part of Security Management Team and Crises Management Team.
- Work within Medair’s recognised procedures in the area of finance, logistics and quality management.
Manager of the innovation project entitled: Efficient Digital Design for Resilient Robust Shelter
- Participate in weekly/bi-weekly meetings with the EPFL and GSO Advisors
- Liaise with local partners (University of Juba, etc)
- Manage the project, ensuring its delivery on time, on budget, and to an internationally acceptable quality
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Degree in architecture, engineering, or similar subject.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- At least 5 years related professional experience. NGO Experience.
- Experience of practical site construction management and project design, including development of technical construction drawings. Able to problem solve and work with others to come up with practical solutions.
- Experience of sub-contractor engagement and management. Engineering and construction management.
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards such as Sphere and CHS.
- Highly motivated, self-initiator, proactive, organised, honest and trustworthy.