127 South Mission Street
The Wenatchee Valley Museum & Cultural Center fosters dynamic connections to the history, cultural traditions and arts of the Wenatchee Valley. A vibrant mid-size museum, the Wenatchee Valley Museum & Cultural Center (WVMCC) is a vital hub for creating community connections with our region's unique heritage and arts through creative programs, exhibits, and publications.
An exciting position with the Wenatchee Valley Museum & Cultural Center, the Director of Development & Communications is responsible for the planning, creation and implementation of the Museum’s strategies related to our membership program, grants, corporate and foundation support, on-line giving, annual giving, planned giving, and special fund-raising events. The position also oversees planning, strategy for marketing and communications, including public relations, media relations, digital communications, key messaging and brand experience. The work requires a high degree of collaboration, accompanied by creative thinking, vivid storytelling and leadership.
This position will partner with the executive director, board and other museum staff to identify, plan and execute both immediate and long-range diverse fundraising opportunities for the Museum. One of the most important responsibilities of this position is cultivating and managing relationships with museum members, donors, board, community and media. WVMCC is committed to enriching educational experiences and our community’s culture. Our expectation is that the successful candidate will excel at working in a growing, diverse community.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development & Communications has the following responsibilities:
· Collaboratively craft the Museum’s overall public presence and tone across print materials, digital platforms, donor and member events, and more.
· Ensure that Museum priorities are understood, well communicated, and met as they relate to marketing, development, and fundraising.
· Develop and manage the annual budget for marketing, membership, and development.
· Manage a current staff of 3: Membership & Digital Engagement Coordinator, PR & Outreach Coordinator, and the Development Special Events Coordinator.
· Develop and implement a cost-effective and strategic fund development program.
· Create and implement specific campaigns for membership appeals, planned giving, charitable trusts, endowments, and development projects.
· Serve as the staff lead to the WVMCC’s Board of Directors’ Development Committee, working closely with the Committee to reach the Museum’s annual fundraising goals.
· Create a strategic plan for supporting and strengthening the Board Development Committee.
· Develop goals and strategies for all levels of membership.
· Oversee the production of fundraising events and appeals, the calendars, plans, and marketing material for fundraising events and appeals.
· Establish recognition, acknowledgements and incentives for donors and members.
· Oversee and cultivate mid- and upper-level individual donors and donor groups.
· In close collaboration with the Executive Director and the Deputy Director, develop annual goals and strategic plans for growing the Museum’s corporate, foundation and government funding.
· Effectively position the Museum’s stories in various media and press outlets to gain wider visibility and increased visitation.
· Shape a broad understanding and acceptance of the value of marketing within the institution and foster a culture in which each department is supportive of the Museum’s marketing goals.
· Have primary responsibility for the planning, creative and design direction, and implementation of marketing campaigns for the institution as a whole, special exhibitions, programs, special events, and new initiatives.
· Develop successful strategies for engaging the public through effective press relations, digital marketing, and social media.
· Work in concert with other departments to assess audience and visitor data and develop engagement, resource allocation, and revenue generating strategies based on these.
· The successful candidate is an energetic development and marketing generalist who has experience working in museums, higher education, cultural, arts and/or heritage organizations, or nonprofit organizations.
· 3-5 years of development, fundraising, and communications/marketing experience.
· Experience leading creative teams and managing staff.
· Ability to collaborate effectively across departments, with highly developed skills working with a diversity of people and groups.
· A keen sense of design, and the ability to simply and powerfully communicate ideas through writing and visuals.
· Detail-oriented and organized.
· Ability to manage and meet multiple deadlines.
· Experience managing multiple competing needs, interests, and personality types.
· Excellent computer skills. Regular use of Word, Excel, WordPress, Photoshop, design/ layout software, and CRM databases.
· Experience successfully working with a Board of Directors’ development committee is desired.
· College degree in a related field is desired.
This is a .9 FTE exempt position, with an annual salary of $49,608 - $56,160 annually, based on 90% of a range of $55,120 - $62,400. Salary is dependent on experience. This positon will require the ability to work some weekend and evenings as needed.
The Wenatchee Valley Museum & Cultural Center is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity and at will employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.
Conditions of Employment
Employment at WVMCC is contingent on the verification of background information submitted by the applicant, including the completion of a criminal record check, and education when applicable.
Museum benefits for this position include paid vacation/sick/holiday time off, a health care stipend, opportunities for professional development, and the potential for some flexible scheduling in the regular work week.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email, in PDF or Word format, your resume; letter of interest describing why are you interested in this position; and contact information for three professional references. Review of resumes will continue until position is filled. All applications submitted will be treated with confidentiality. Please no telephone inquiries.