RESPONSIBILITIES: The Finance & HR Manager is responsible for supporting financial management and leading accounting functions, compliance, benefits administration, and human resources coordination. This person is the machine behind timely and accurate accounting for the organization and over 200 farm and food businesses. They also administer the systems that support hiring, onboarding, and employee exit, as well as benefits for a team of 12 to 22 employees throughout the year. This role requires a person with acute attention to detail and high level of accuracy, integrity, and the ability to communicate financial information to non-finance professionals.
Main duties include: (1) financial management including reporting, compliance, and internal coordination; (2) accounting, including cash and cash equivalent reconciliation, accounts payable and receivable, and payroll processing; (3) human resources planning including employee documentation and compliance, recruitment, hiring, and onboarding coordination; and (4) training and supervision of part-time, seasonal bookkeeping assistant(s).
- Document and update all financial policies and procedures, including internal controls.
- Prepare financial reports and review internally and with the board as needed.
- Act as the liaison for annual 990 return and annual review by CPA.
- Prepare financial reports for grant reporting, quarterly board and finance committee meetings.
- Assist Director of Business Operations with developing annual budgets and manage allocations appropriately in QuickBooks.
- Maintain well-organized and up-to-date files for financial reports, pay records, and invoices.
- Work with Program Coordinator to ensure all annual licenses and permits are up to date.
- Create and update forms and tracking spreadsheets as needed.
- Other special finance and accounting projects as needed.
- Responsible for market box counting & reconciliation weekly, supervising any staff assisting with these bookkeeping duties. Provide training for all staff to ensure box counting procedures are followed.
- Work with Market Managers to ensure all on-site bookkeeping is accurately reported and deposited in a timely manner. Generate reports on total vendor fees and deposits. Track down any discrepancies.
- Maintain written bookkeeping procedures for office and market day operations, including vendor fees and reporting, petty cash, market cash and cash equivalents with assistance from Market Staff.
- Post Accounts Payable: Pay bills in a timely manner, allocate expenses, and reconcile all activity.
- Post Accounts Receivables including all Market activity, entering sales receipts in a timely manner, and allocate revenues. Create market sales/stall fee data in excel spreadsheets. Work with Market Managers to invoice farmers for collections as needed.
- Petty cash: Post and verify office and farmers markets petty cash accounts.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations for seven accounts.
- Ensure all sources of contributed income and all revenues and expenses are tracked by class.
- Track food assistance programs such as: WIC FMNP, Senior FMNP, EBT, Fresh Bucks and Helping Harvest for each market. Work with Program staff to coordinate, track and report Helping Harvest.
PAYROLL, BENEFITS & TAXES (10%)
- Payroll: Prepare payroll, create and post all journal entries. Pay all payroll taxes in a timely manner.
- Prepare and distribute all year-end payroll and contract labor tax forms.
- Manage and administer all employee benefits including healthcare, medical spending accounts, and 401k plans. Make monthly deposits for 401k and reimburse healthcare spending account.
- Administer employee benefit programs, including answering ongoing benefit-related questions, and new hire enrollments.
- Monitor and pay city taxes and state business taxes on a monthly, quarterly or annual basis.
HUMAN RESOURCES ADMINISTRATION (20%)
- Planning and support of HR functions including hiring, onboarding, exit, and benefits administration.
- Coordinate and conduct, as needed, new hire orientations. Ensure all new hire paperwork is complete and in compliance.
- Draft, track, and upkeep personnel related documentation, including grievances, performance management documents, and annual performance evaluations.
- Document and update all personnel policies, including an annual review and update to the Handbook.
- Develop and update tools that support good employer practice and employee experience: hiring and interview rubrics, job descriptions, employee onboarding, and employee exit.
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal discrimination and employment regulations.
- Other people related projects as needed.
- 5 to 7 years of increasing responsibility of finance or bookkeeping experience.
- 5 to 7 years of human resources support and administration with experience in system building.
- Excellent knowledge of QuickBooks -- Pro 2019 or Non-profit versions, Excel, and Word.
- Thorough knowledge and integrity with GAAP (accounting principles).
- Demonstrated experience handling A/R, A/P, payroll, bank reconciliations, quarterly reports and creating journal entries.
- Budgeting and cash flow analysis experience a plus.
- Be able to work in a highly interconnected team environment.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with ability to manage multiple tasks, prioritize urgent needs and meet deadlines.
- Able to work independently as well as with a team. Must be able to exercise discretion, sound judgment, tact, and diplomacy in all communications, due to the exposure to sensitive and confidential information.
- Excellent communication skills, both written & verbal and must have the ability to communicate effectively across all functional levels.